Chick peas

gustinkg

Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought a few bags of uncooked chick peas, im gona try using them on sunday, i was planning on soaking them ovenight, then boiling for a short while them simmering them till soft,im gona flavour them with peppermint and dye them bright pink!! any ideas on wether this is a crazy plan, or maybe a good idea!!

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
boil a pound of them in a tin of tomato soup until they are soft. peppermint oil can be good, but at very, very low levels.

Nathan

Reaction score
I've used chick peas a lot when prebaiting, i had my very first canal carp (and some nice bream) on chick peas. The only problem is once cooked they're are quite soft so they can come off the hair. They take on both flavours & colours very well so experiment and see what works.

Cakey

Reaction score
my favourite chick pea....................theres meant to be a zx9 in the picture somewhere
ZX9%20pink%20bikini.2.jpg

Dave Burr

Reaction score
When trying any new bait you first have to ask yourself "why?"

Are you doing it on a runs water just to see what the effect is or have you struggled of late and want to experiment. Either way, if you, like me, have woken to a frost this morning, you may find the carp more challenging than usual by the weekend. How will this effect your results or findings?

I think that radical changes in bait are best left to when the going is good and always used alongside a proven fish catcher.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Cakey what flavour is that one then..peach maybe

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I was in the supermarket today and saw tins of Heinz (?) chickpeas in some kind of sauce. Anyone tried them? As bait :) (he added swiftly)

Cakey

Reaction score
if you want to fish with a chick pea ,soak them for 24hrs and boil for 20 mins add salt or sugar depend on winter or summer
if you add flavours you are no longer fishing a chick pea !

preston96

Reaction score
if you want to fish with a chick pea ,soak them for 24hrs and boil for 20 mins add salt or sugar depend on winter or summer

Good point Cakes,It often amazes me why anglers have this fixation with trying to change the flavour of something fish find atractive........even when they ain't been caught on the natural item before.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score

??? When I used to fish with my friend Stuart and his Dad, Stephen, they used to bring ice cream buckets full of chick peas. They were all sorts of colours and all sorts of flavours from spicy to sweet jammy ones and plain ones. I didn't note the fish having any particular preference, mind, but if it gives you confidence, try it.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I have thought about this extensively, and i can not figure out at what stage does a chick pea stop being a chick pea??

Is it when you colour it or when you flavour it or does it change in to something else when you add both flavours and colours ??

So in theory, a Boillie stops being a Boillie as soon as you you add flavours or colours or both to the boillie mix.

A CHICK PEA WILL STILL BE A CHICK PEA IF YOU LAID A TURD ON IT.

Phew, that feels better, glad i got that out of me :rolleyes:

Did i mean the rant or the turd .................. it's a mystery :wh

Cakey

Reaction score
your entitled to your opinion mr Viper but I know the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth

Bully

Reaction score
Tone - I luv chickpeas (as a bait and in a curry!) and always have a can of cooked 'peas in my bag, whether river fishing or on lakes.

Personally I would not put any flavour in them and use them as a bait in the "raw" first, especially if you have not got any intelligence on whether they have been used on your venue before. Obviously if they have then you can decide whether to adapt your approach.

If I were you I'd take a handful after you have cooked them and flavour/colour those and use them as change baits if you are not having any luck with straight chick peas. But I'd be very cautious about flavouring the whole batch if its your first time.

In my experience, and I have used them loads, straight 'peas have only ever been bettered by the "mother of all" chick pea flavours, and thats maple....simply the best!

preston96

Reaction score
I have thought about this extensively, and i can not figure out at what stage does a chick pea stop being a chick pea??

Is it when you colour it or when you flavour it or does it change in to something else when you add both flavours and colours ??

So in theory, a Boillie stops being a Boillie as soon as you you add flavours or colours or both to the boillie mix.

A CHICK PEA WILL STILL BE A CHICK PEA IF YOU LAID A TURD ON IT.

Phew, that feels better, glad i got that out of me :rolleyes:

Did i mean the rant or the turd .................. it's a mystery :wh

I like Salt n vingar on my fish n chips.......a turd would definatly change the appeal......but fish n chips they will still be :wh

Fish like, hemp, maggots, chick peas etc.......anglers like playing about with them :w