Pellet mix

maver man

Reaction score
I have got some 4mm trout pellets and some strawberry 4mm pellets.
When fishing for carp is best to mix them or use them on there own?

Regards,
Adam.

chadl

Reaction score
I like to match the pellet flavouring close to the hookbait.

If i were going to be fishing with strawberry pellet i would use a fruity hookbait.

When using pellet i like to use fish based such as krill etc...

CC Moore provide an excellent range.

Thanks, Darren.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks.
So would it be bad if i had a spicy sausage boilie on the hair with a pva bag of trout and strawberry pellets? (thought a combination would give them a range of baits so the more flavors the more interested the fish become?)

chadl

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert its just the way i like to fish.

Regarding fishing pellet in PVA i would include some chops and whole boilies if fishing a boilie on the hair, if not purchase some larger hookable pellets and include a few in the PVA and one on the hair.

Thanks, Darren.

maver man

Reaction score
I was tying with the idea of that but i have some boilies on order which haven't arrived yet and i need them for Saturday other wise is will be tigers, pellets, meat, corn n hemp.

chadl

Reaction score
I would mix the pellet, hemp, sweetcorn together with some groundbait to draw out the moisture and use it in PVA sticks,

Be careful when threading your line through the PVA stick on as not to mask the hook point with a piece of corn or pellet.

Something i like to do when making the PVA stick first fill it with neat groundbait then add the pellet, hemp and corn mix ontop. This way you can then have the hook point in neat powder eliminating the risk of masking the hook point.

Thanks, Darren.

Frothey

Reaction score
does one brand of strawberry taste the same as another?

does a fish even know what a strawberry is? if you use fruit flavoured boilies because you have strawberry pellets and you want them to match, how does a fish know that one fruit is a fruit and not a cheese? squid and octopus is a spice flavour after all.....

mixing flavours isn't going to put fish off - after all a strawberry boilie will have milk, cereals, fishmeal, etc in it which will all taste different to a fish. don't forget we like sweet and sour things....

Last edited:

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I use 4mm trout pellets from the catty but I'll use a 6mm Dynamite Pineapple Soft hooker on the hook.
I sometimes switch to caster from the catty and fish pellet, prawn, corn, strawberry corn, banded pellets on the hook.
I don't believe the hookbait has to match the loosefeed.

chadl

Reaction score
Im not saying its right or wrong, as i stated in my initial post its just the way i like to fish. I like to match things closely as possible.

The best thing to do is go out try these combinations and find out what works for you on your water.

Thanks, Darren.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your contributions i ended up fishing 20mm pineapple boilies with trout pellets and chopped pineapple boilies in a pva bag, 15mm spicy sausage boilies with trout pellets, tigers and chopped spicy sausage boilies in a pva bag and thirdly 2 pieces of enterprise tackle rubber corn with trout pellets and tigers in a pva bag.

I caught most my fish on the rubber corn rig (tries this on every venue I've been to and it never worked tried it today and success!) and spicy sausage rig.

Its strange how each rbait comes into affect during the day for example today i found that sweet stuff in the morning went well, buoyant baits in the afternoon went well and spicy stuff early evening went well.

Frothey

Reaction score
Im not saying its right or wrong, as i stated in my initial post its just the way i like to fish. I like to match things closely as possible.

The best thing to do is go out try these combinations and find out what works for you on your water.

Thanks, Darren.

I'm not saying you are wrong, it's just that people often get so hung up about bait, they sometimes need to take a step back and look at it logically.

sergioge

Reaction score
I have got some 4mm trout pellets and some strawberry 4mm pellets.
When fishing for carp is best to mix them or use them on there own?

Regards,
Adam.

Hi maver man,are your trout pellets high in oil? if so i would use your strawberry ones or ones low oil in colder water as the oils in the trout pellets arent to effective in cold water.tight lines.