Oils in winter

Carpy Kev

Reaction score
Hi Guys, fairly new to the site and was hoping that someone could help me out with a bait question.

Started making my own boilies this season and have done reasonably well on them. It's a milk protein/nut meal base mix to which I have been adding hemp oil at 5ml per egg.

I have read that there is a problem with putting oils in baits when the wheather gets colder but does this apply only to the fishy type oils or should I drop the hemp oil out of the the bait now it's getting colder.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ta.

Frothey

Reaction score
it's only really fish oils, but even then you just have to drop the levels a bit. Hemp/nut/veg oils are ok.

Just remember - it's not winter yet!

supgen

Reaction score
I remember reading a winter carpy article about glugs, the least soluable are oils, then sugars then alcohols. I think :eek: it was a long time ago... If i was a carp though I think I wouldnt mind a nip of whiskey in mid winter!!

Frothey

Reaction score
^^ about right, but there are times you dont want them to be totally soluble.
Most "non-food" dips you buy are just glycerine, colouring and flavours anyway.

Foxy

Reaction score
Nut oil "macadem" goes into mine when its cold, or just leave it out, not cold enough to worry about it yet though

noknot

Reaction score
Some fish oils are still OK to use in the winter (as I remember Salmon oil ) still is as effective? What you need to look at is at what temp do they start to congeal, as they will not release from the baits ( this is what makes them so effective ) But as stated above it is not winter yet!

My favourite all time winter oil is sesamie seed oil, and even better the garlic flavoured ones, look in Chinese shops for this, it's awesome, but be warned it stinks!:eek:

p.s. A good test to see if it will congeal is put a tub of oil in the fridge;)

Last edited:

GertR

Reaction score
p.s. A good test to see if it will congeal is put a tub of oil in the fridge;)

Hi Guys interesting thread.

Well this is where i get confused.
How will it look if it congeals in the fridge reason i am askink is that i added say about only 10ml of Hemp in a glass and at 4 degrees it starts forming like jelly on the surface of the water, not that bad but still jelly.

So is this OK or not because this is worrying me and this subject actually totally confuses me at the moment.
I am picking up fish with my homemaids but not sure how much oil i must use when it really gets cold.
And then i hear some people say hemp oil is OK in winter and some say no stay away from it in boilies?

I picked up fish using hemp with particals in the winter but want to use it in my boilies for the winter.

How would it exactly look if it congeals?
Sorry if this sounds a bit funny but i don't know.

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Then just to confirm something else please.

I come from South Africa with extremely high temperatures, now i was told there by guys making their own boilies that i must keep the oil and flavour contents low at about 15ml, now these guys looks towards UK anglers and learning allot from you guys.

Now that i am in the UK it seems to me that you are using much higher oil levels than what i was told to use.

So just to confirm with you guys that 5ml per egg is OK for the summer does this includes my flavours then and at which levels should i look at in winter?

I have only been fishing in the UK now for the last month with some good results but have been using maximum 20ml of oils this is including my flavours?

Just some thoughts or advice from you guys please.

Appreciated.
Gert

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Then just maybe another question what must i be doing regarding oil levels if an ingrediant in my basemix is high in Fat content therefore also having allot of oils in it already?

And what could i do to increase the digestabality of this bait due to the high oil levels found in the basemix already?

I don't want to hijack the thread just need some advice please.

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
Hi Guys interesting thread.

Well this is where i get confused.
How will it look if it congeals in the fridge reason i am askink is that i added say about only 10ml of Hemp in a glass and at 4 degrees it starts forming like jelly on the surface of the water, not that bad but still jelly.

By saying it congeals, I mean that it will solidify at low temps, if this is the case with your hemp oil, then I would not use it as it will not release from the bait.

So is this OK or not because this is worrying me and this subject actually totally confuses me at the moment.
I am picking up fish with my homemaids but not sure how much oil i must use when it really gets cold.
And then i hear some people say hemp oil is OK in winter and some say no stay away from it in boilies?

I picked up fish using hemp with particals in the winter but want to use it in my boilies for the winter.

How would it exactly look if it congeals?
Sorry if this sounds a bit funny but i don't know.

As you said like jelly.

---------- Post added at 11:30 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Then just to confirm something else please.

I come from South Africa with extremely high temperatures, now i was told there by guys making their own boilies that i must keep the oil and flavour contents low at about 15ml, now these guys looks towards UK anglers and learning allot from you guys.

Now that i am in the UK it seems to me that you are using much higher oil levels than what i was told to use.

So just to confirm with you guys that 5ml per egg is OK for the summer does this includes my flavours then and at which levels should i look at in winter?

I would add 2-3ml of flavour per six eggs!

I have only been fishing in the UK now for the last month with some good results but have been using maximum 20ml of oils this is including my flavours?

20ml to six eggs is fine, try sesamie seed oil, Carp love it and chaper than from bait companies!

Just some thoughts or advice from you guys please.

Appreciated.
Gert

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Then just maybe another question what must i be doing regarding oil levels if an ingrediant in my basemix is high in Fat content therefore also having allot of oils in it already?

If your basemix is an HNV type it will be fine.

And what could i do to increase the digestabality of this bait due to the high oil levels found in the basemix already?

Birdseed perhaps?

I don't want to hijack the thread just need some advice please.

Good luck;)

Frothey

Reaction score
you don't really need oils as a fat source in a winter bait - as has been said, toasted sessame seed oil is great, but a max of 1ml per egg as it can overpower the bait.

in fishmeals i use 5ml per egg, plus whatever flavours/other liquids in the summer.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned emulsifiers yet. I thought these were a vital consideration when using oils in winter?