Carp weight to length ratios

J

John Hawkins

I recently caught some personal best carp but as I was fishing alone had to photograph them with my mobile for scale. Does anyone know if you can still estimate the weight by the length of the fish? I have seen tables in the past for this but not recently. The fish were only about 4-5lb mirrors and commons but I took them off the surface on floating dog biscuits and had a whale of a time doing it - remember size isn't everything!!!

D

david addison

john only just noticed your thread if you go to www.floatsgone.btinternet.co.uk & look at the index click on estimating fish weights there is a scale for the above ive printed it off & carry it around with me as sometimes i don,t have my scales thought it might help you ( tight lines) dave.

J

John Hawkins

Thanks for that - just need to develop the photos now!!!

G

Grey Heron

Problem with using length for estimating fish weights is that it is the variation in girth that often makes all the difference in weight, not length.
My mate and I recently caught 2 carp of equal lenghth in France one was 37lb the other was 47lb.

**** Walker (i think) came up with the formula

length X girth squared all divided by 806. Sounds a bit weird but it does seem to work. Only problam is you need to measure the length and girth accurately and won't be able to do it from a photo.