New world record common carp

quattro

Reaction score
Hell of a fish and brilliant write-up. I'm not a speci hunter myself but I do appreciate his patience, persistence and dedication:)

Philip

Reaction score
Big fish ! ...well done the captor. I always think commons looks good as monsters...especially dark ones like this. Some very big fish out there now...I can think of a couple of other commons that may challenge this one soon. Mirrors getting bigger too...I wonder, are we soon to see the first autenticated 100 pound Carp !?

Both Common and Mirror records now come from lakes...I was trying to dig up info on River world records recently. Anyone know what or if there is an official record for biggest Common and Mirror from a River ?

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
don't know philip, but some of the "rumoured" uncaught fish migrate between the lake and river for spawning. how would that work? :)

Philip

Reaction score
Good point Froth…plus many lakes are stream fed so does that make them part of a “river” too ? I fish some lagoons that are connected to rivers…the fish I catch in the lagoons I consider as still water and those from the river channel as river caught…then again what about canals …river or Stillwater ? …Arrr my head is spinning! :)

Your right, I guess it’s impossible to officially split rivers and lakes and we will only have one record for both. However I think there is an unofficial grapevine out there that does put the tag “Stillwater” or “river” caught…in many cases it will be pretty clear cut which is which.

Anyway Reason I asked was because the World record 4 or 5 fish back was the 37Kg fish from the Seine in the 80s…that was clearly a river fish from around the confluence of 2 big rivers. Its still the biggest I have heard of…I wondered if anyone had heard of a bigger “river” fish since then?

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
some of the fish i caught 15yrs ago in a lake are now in a lagoon 8 miles downstream - got there in the floods. one was even caught 2 miles downstream suring some floods in between captures in the lagoon!

agree with the river fish though, theres a massive amount of water they could hide in in europe......

Philip

Reaction score
Floods ! …yep once rivers burst their banks you never know were they will end up...some people still think Savays Sally is swimming about in a river somewhere don’t they !

Yep, there are some massive fish yet to be caught in the river systems…so much water…they are out there, no doubt about it ...Sad thing is on the continent the biggies often get put in private lakes after capture. I have been offered money by the proverbial “white van driver” on a couple of occasions but turned it down out of principle.