birds nests

carty

Reaction score
help please .having great problems with my line and reels as i take the bail arm off to cast the line comes of the reels like acoiled spring i havr two okuma reels and have just loaded them with ultracarp 161b flourocoated line any clues any body thanks carty..

alan

Reaction score
sounds like you have put to much line on, you want to stop at about 1mm from the edge of the lip.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
help please .having great problems with my line and reels as i take the bail arm off to cast the line comes of the reels like acoiled spring i havr two okuma reels and have just loaded them with ultracarp 161b flourocoated line any clues any body thanks carty..
What size are the reels carty? another possible reason could be the reels are geared towards match sized carp rather than bigger specimens. although, as Frothey said fluro is stiffer than mono and tight coils is more of an issue for it.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
This could also be associated with the way you have loaded your reel off your bulk spool. There is a lot of advice on this site about how to load your reel and the line, the line manufacture should also tell you how to do it.
The way I load my line is to mount the bulk spool on a spindle, generally a pencil, and with my reel fixed to the bottom section of a rod, wind on the line. To keep some tension on the line I generally wrap a wet rag round the line just after the bulk spool. And like the rest of the lads have said keep the line a couple of mm below the rim of your reel.
I take it as read that you are using swivels on your end rig set-ups.

carty

Reaction score
thank you all for the responce to my question but i have tried all those things but still get the tangles . my reels athe large okuma bait feeder ones.tried using a spin doctor its ok for afew casts but then its back again. some one said the line must go on the reel the opposite way it comes off the spool is that right.thanks carty//

Frothey

Reaction score
did you soak the line before putting it on?

the other thing to try is to go to a field, cast a lead as far as you can, then walk to the lead and cut it off. Wind the line back under tension (wet rag) and you should get all the twist out.

alternatively, try a different line - never seen it but it might just be very stiff. try Krystons "Krystonite" if you want a coated flouro.

Last edited:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
You could give it a good stretch too, tie one end to a post and walk it out a hundred yards or more and stretch it out. Or launch a few casts with a big heavy lead half a dozen times.

carty

Reaction score
birds nest.

thanks nobby not tried that one will give it a go going to my local water thurs morn let you know if it works.carty

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Another option, done it myself, is to pop down to your local school/footie playing fields. With a swivel on the end of your line, tie the swivel to a chain link fence and walk out your line, the farther the better. Then wind it in with a good tension on the line. The swivel should help to remove any twists and you bed the line down nicely at the same time.
Obviously don't try this when the local lads are playing footie, or when the kids are in school or the local rozzers might stop by to ask a few questions :)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Another option, done it myself, is to pop down to your local school/footie playing fields. With a swivel on the end of your line, tie the swivel to a chain link fence and walk out your line, the farther the better. Then wind it in with a good tension on the line. The swivel should help to remove any twists and you bed the line down nicely at the same time.
Obviously don't try this when the local lads are playing footie, or when the kids are in school or the local rozzers might stop by to ask a few questions :)

Great -wish I'd read the whole post Grumpy before nipping to the local school at lunch time - case comes up on Friday

carty

Reaction score
line twist/ birds nests

now i havent tried that one but will give it a go .while im on here is there anybody in the glossop. ashton.hyde. areas in to carp fishing dont seem to know anyone round here cheers...carty

ahab

Reaction score
Brands of fluorocarbon-coated lines vary enormously; some brands have a thicker coating of flouro than others.

It is a fact that pure 100% fluorocarbon makes very poor casting line due to its rigidity and high memory. This results in almost rigid coils traveling through the eyes and slapping the blank greatly reducing distance. Following casting the coils leaving the spool at speed clash with themselves resulting in a birds nest between the rings.

A good quality premium co-polymer with a well-balanced finer coating of fluorocarbon greatly reduces the chances of bird’s nest and in many cases totally eliminates them.

Sadly today in many cases you only get what you pay for.

There are brands of fluorocarbon coated mono on sale that contain horrendous memory and are totally unsuitable as a casting line. :eek:

Pure 100% fluorocarbon (not coated) makes excellent fly leader/tippet combinations because of its inherent stiffness and sink rate but bloody awful casting line.