Bait Runners-Carp Reels

maver man

Reaction score
At the moment i have 2 small MAP b/runner reels and i am I'm looking to by 2 carp reels with b/runners and with big spools! Now as they are my first proper pair what would you guys recommend for me?

Bearing in mind they need to be reasonably priced as i can only afford so much.

Also what brand line should i load it with?

Thanks,
Adam

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

......bttt

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Get a pair of secondhand Shimano baitrunners and you'll never be disappointed. Line - cheap and cheerful Sensor in 12 or 15lb or expensive but durable Powerpro braid. These are my favourites but they won't catch you any more fish than the tackle you are using now - beware of the brand-name nonsense that permeates fishing generally. The tackle that is in the water is far more important than what is on the bank.

maver man

Reaction score
Cheers guys.
Those shimano b/runners are like my map ones.
I would love to have a pair of Daiwa Infinity X BR reels but they cost a bomb lol.
Are the Wychwood range any good?

Regards,
Adam

richiekelly

Reaction score
if money is tight i would always buy good condition /quality used tackle rather than inferior quality/cheaper tackle, good quality will almost always outlast cheaper stuff.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks all.

I have been looking at the Wychwood Exorcist Big Pit Freespin Reels and the Wychwood Rogue Freespin 50 carp reel, any comments on those?

Last edited:

Coxy

Reaction score
Hi maver man,

I bought a Wychwood Rogue Freespin 50 for my teenage son as his (my very old 4000) Shimano bail spring gave up the ghost , it was a cheap n chearfull emergency purchase reel.

I have to say the Wychwood is not a good reel, it makes an awfull noise when put under pressure, the main spindle nut keeps comming loose & the plastic spool trim fell off......
But surprisingly, after two seasons carp/pike fishing it's still going?

At the end of the day it's your choice, personaly if your on a budget, i would go with the earlier advice and grab a 2nd hand Shimano 6010 from e-bay or if you want new then go for a Okuma.

BarryC

Reaction score
Well worth a look at the Okuma range. They are often recomended on here and I have never heard a bad word said about them.
I give my little Okuma freespool some stick and it seems bulletproof.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Tbh the I have only really seen one Wychwood reel that looked quite decent and they do look like they would fall apart but they would the job just about lol, but i think i will pass on them.

Now thats surprised me i once enquirer about a reel from the Okuma range and apparently the just fall part and are rather rubbish?

Adam

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If you think that Okuma Reels are rubbish, i am afraid you have been mis informed, i have had loads of Okuma Reels over the years, and i am very happy with them.

Coxy

Reaction score
Adam,
The Wychwood Rogue Freespin 50 retails at £30, So does the Okuma Interceptor Pro Bait Feeder 50, which is a proven quality reel............ No brainer!

maver man

Reaction score
Sorry if i offended you guys i was just informing you all on what i got told.

Coxy

Reaction score
Don't be daft Adam, you have'nt offended anyone.
We are all still learning, if theres anything your not sure about just ask....... This lot on here are pretty friendly bunch and are more than willing to pass on their knowledge.

maver man

Reaction score
:) Its good to know cheers.
Ill have a look at some Okuma reels n tell you if any tickle me nipples ;)
Lol.

Adam.

captain carrott

Reaction score
If you think that Okuma Reels are rubbish, i am afraid you have been mis informed, i have had loads of Okuma Reels over the years, and i am very happy with them.

most shimano owners on the other hand have had very few shimano reels becuase they're still going strong years on.

i have one okuma eb50 pro, to be honest it aint the best baitrunner i've ever had. particularly when the baitrunner part either fails to engage or disengage.

on the other hand i've got 2 bigbaitrunner longcasts , 1 6010 and some 5010's 4 of em i think but not sure on that one.

the 5010's and 6010 are all 1990's models, they work just as well today as they did on the day i bought them and will continue to do so for a number of years yet.

Dal

Reaction score
most shimano owners on the other hand have had very few shimano reels becuase they're still going strong years on.

i have one okuma eb50 pro, to be honest it aint the best baitrunner i've ever had. particularly when the baitrunner part either fails to engage or disengage.

on the other hand i've got 2 bigbaitrunner longcasts , 1 6010 and some 5010's 4 of em i think but not sure on that one.

the 5010's and 6010 are all 1990's models, they work just as well today as they did on the day i bought them and will continue to do so for a number of years yet.

Maver Man, to be perfectly honest, in my opinion Shimano's are the only reel to have for fresh water fishing, I've got 2 X 5010GT's 4 X 8010GT's 2 X 10K's, 1 X Aerlex, 1 X 6000 and 3 different smaller ones for float and feeder fishing. The only problem I've ever encountered was a bail arm locking up on an 8010GT, that was about 12 years old at the time and with it's partner was sent back to Felindre in Wales for a repair and 2 services at the great cost of £30 including return postage! They are now as smooth as silk. I rest my case :D .

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You are all trying to compare £100 shimano bait runners with £40 Okuma free spool reels.

Yes, their are better baitrunners / free spool reels out there if you are willing to pay the money, but, for the same amount of money you will pay for the Okumas you can find reels for the same price that quite honestly aren't a patch on the Okuma reels.

Think how much do you want to spend, then search the shops near you and try the reels out in your price range.