luncheon meat

quickcedo

Reaction score
I was looking at a cooking sight the other night and found a way of making my own luncheon meat. (piece of cake). I was wondering if anyone else had bothered and if so, what favours/ additives have been tried.
I have over the years tried all the usual methods of adding flavour/ colour etc and this seems to be the obvious route, so just looking for thoughts. All the best Mark.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Tear up chunks or cube your meat and place in a plastic sandwich bag,then add..........
The list is endless mark,i suppose it`s like asking how long is a piece of string,just experiment !
Here`s some flavours i`ve tried......garlic salt,soya sauce,marmite or bovril (diluted a wee bit in warm water,just to help evenly coat the meat),dried mixed herbs,HP sauce,chillie sauce (from my local kebab shop)milk shake powders,soda stream and milk shake syrups,black pepper,cheese sauce mix.
What you don`t use for barbel or chub,you can certainly use for carp or tench.

quickcedo

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The point is that I can now make the lucheon meat from scratch so I can now put flavours/dyes etc into the meat from the start. The reason for starting doing this is I live on a boat and dont have a freezer, which is I am told the best way to get favours into the meat

quickcedo

Reaction score
As I said I dont have a freezer! I have spent years trying to get flavours etc into meat. But due to the fact I could only get it to permiate in only very slightly I tended to use very strong flavours. I was kind of hoping ( now I am making the meat from scatch) to use more subtle offerings.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When you say you are making your own luncheon, how exactly and why is it better than the shop bought stuff?

You can mash up luncheon meat and mix in a little corn flour to stiffen it along with any flavours you fancy (there is no best) then knead into a paste, takes 10 minutes at most. Fish love paste its just keeping it on the hook where the problem arises but fine if you aren't chucking to the other side of the county..

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
A popular one to use in the freezing process is tandoori spice, I see no reason why you couldn't include that in you home made mix, garlic would be worth trying too (garlic salt possibly).

Som people fry off their meat in the tandoori powder before heading out for the day - it makes it a little tougher on the hook as well as adding flavour.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I just googled "homemade luncheon meat" I started to make it as I didnt (until your very informative remark) know about leaving it in the fridge for longer. However, as I have now started making it and realised how much I can manipulate the consistency and flavour, I will continue. I have by mistake found that if I increase the fat content to much I get pop up meat. I asked the original question as I now get flavour right through I am looking for new ideas. Some of the above have given food for thought, but very much a work in progress. As an aside, the cooking sites which show how to make "meat" also show how to make Salami etc. Go on have a go, you know you want to!