fruit and/or fishmeal

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Advice from the bait barons please. I have always been under the impression that fruit flavoured and fishmeal baits didn't work well together. That one or the other was good but a mix of both killed a swim. After reading some recent posts I wonder if that was a wrong premise?

Frothey

Reaction score
in a word - yes.

Just look at Premier Baits "Peach Melba" when it was used in the Fish Mix and Amino's - took apart pretty much every water in the eighties/nineties. And still does!

You have to think "carp" rather than human when it comes to flavours - they don't know what a fruit is, it's just a chemical signal.

Likewise Hutchinsons "Pukka Salmon" was the flavour of the early eighties, used on a milk protein base. Fish flavoured ice cream? That'll never work......

noknot

Reaction score
in a word - yes.

Just look at Premier Baits "Peach Melba" when it was used in the Fish Mix and Amino's - took apart pretty much every water in the eighties/nineties. And still does!

You have to think "carp" rather than human when it comes to flavours - they don't know what a fruit is, it's just a chemical signal.

Likewise Hutchinsons "Pukka Salmon" was the flavour of the early eighties, used on a milk protein base. Fish flavoured ice cream? That'll never work......

Ditto!

Premier's Pear flavour was also awesome, rather than thinking that certain baits and flavours don't mix well, I would look at the ammounts of flavour used, as overloading on them can kill a bait and indeed repel Carp, so keep the levels low, if you can smell it, then it's too high!

Frothey

Reaction score
explain overloaded single baits then.......

you have to look at the base of the flavour - it's impossible to overload hutchies origional chocolate malt, for example.

Ah, Prem's Marachino Cherry, Sweaty Feet, Bunspice, Condensed Milk and Black Pepper..... Great Days

Last edited:

noknot

Reaction score
Exactly what they say they are, singles! Same principle as hi viz singles, by the time a Carp has tried it, it's too late;)

Frothey

Reaction score
but if they repelled the fish that badly, they wouldn't even get it in their mouth as their receptors are that sensitive. one minute we're saying they can sense food from a distance, the next they have to get it in their mouth to taste it?

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Is pukka salmon still produced today? I know the original supplier;BBA was taken over by a bigger outfit and none I've contacted have managed to locate it under any guise.

Foxy

Reaction score
Lets not forget squid and orange (although squid isnt technically a fish!) my all time fave bait flavours

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Sorry if this not directly to do with the subject matter but I fish a lake where boilies of any sort are rarely used.
During the summer the carp took fishmeal boilies readily(but not fruit flavour)and as autumn came in a pineapple flavour boilie started to produce as the fishmeal started to go off.....

Now I have the problem(as its started to get cooler)where neither will induce a take!

I'm sure both will come back next spring/summer but I'm at a loss to know what to try in the cooler/cold months.I fish several days a week so its possible to stick to one swim and bait up lightly before I leave the water....but this has not helped to date...

What does work to some extent is the old faithful 'Bacon Grill' and will take the odd fish so maybe a meat flavoured boilie might work and if so,what supplier?
I can continue with this bait but I would like to try boilies through the winter...

Any ideas??

apologies to GeoffMaynard for use of his thread!!

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
You can get meaty boilies if you want to try them: CC Moores 'Meteor', SBS 'Lobworm', Jon Baker 'Ashlea Pool', Perfection baits 'meat and worm', I think Trigga might be one too, not sure. Look on a few baitsites and you'll find a fair few with liver extract/powder.

richiekelly

Reaction score
for a strong smelling bait that does not need to be overloaded try mexican onion oil , i use it at 1 drop per 4 large egg mix a word of warning though do not make your bait in the house unless your missus has no sence of smell

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
If thats to me Frothey,well no real reason apart from the fish seemingly going for meat!!

No,it doesn't necessarily follow that meat boilies will do well-its just a line of thought.....

I'd like to have you thoughts on the subject and happy to change track if you have a flavour thats worth a go.......I'm no expert in this field,in fact I'm very much a learner so ALL comments and suggestions welcome.....

ps...this is NOT my thread though!!

Frothey

Reaction score
you've just got to get your head around the fact that a meat "flavour" wont smell/taste like actual meat to a fish - meat extract will (like bovril) but the other ingredients will have a taste of their own as well. that's not to say it won't be effective though!

after all, my missus wont eat a cheese and onion sandwich, but'll eat cheese and onion flavour crisps.....

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
once again apologies for the thread hijack. Tee-Cee, read the link for the answer to your question. http://www.articledashboard.com/Art...Boilies-Irresistible-To-Big-Wary-Fish-/902345. It's not to long and boring. Honest!!!

tee-cee's on about using a flavour though, not actual sausage.....

what tim didn't mention (apart from carp not surviving out of water for half an hour whilst taking trophy shots) is that not all sausages are spicy. cheap ones are all cereal and fat - not great for winter baits - although the salt contents a bonus. you need to get spicy, hot ones if you want any of the advantages he mentioned. remember the winter pepperami explosion of a few years back....... ;)

If you like the idea of naturally attractive baits, have a look at "ultimate carp nutrition" - their enzyme bait is particularly interesting, just don't eat one!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mark t....thanks for that;I will need to read it a few times though......

I take your point Frothey.....

..as a matter of interest how long,from the initial introduction,would you use a bait(boilie) during the winter before giving up on it?
..again the question of how much feed to put in-too much might turn them off and too little......the opposite

I'm sure its a trial & error situation and every water is bound to give differing results but any comments based on experience must be useful.....

Usually I fish rivers in winter but I'm determined to give the carp a bash this year purely out of interest....

Frothey

Reaction score
the honest answer is I wouldn't give up - I pretty much will use whatever boilie as I have faith in the baits I choose, they will pick fish up if i get the location right and they are feeding. I tend to change when I get bored of a smell! I also don't slavishly use boilies.....

how much - it'll change from day to day. a stringer one day, a kilo the next.

Foxy

Reaction score
for a strong smelling bait that does not need to be overloaded try mexican onion oil , i use it at 1 drop per 4 large egg mix a word of warning though do not make your bait in the house unless your missus has no sence of smell

Got to add that the onion is really good with a blue cheese basemix additive or flavour, but it REALLY hums!