Dave Tipping Homemade Feeders

Matthew White

Reaction score
Hi All

In his articles for Angling Times and Coarse Fisherman, Dave Tipping uses open-end, in-line swimfeeders which he makes himself.

I think they are made by glueing stiff rig tubing to cut down plastic piping of some sort and roofing lead. Silicone tubing is then pushed onto each end of the stiff rig tube, I'm not sure what this is for.

I dont think Dave posts on FM or I would ask him direct.

Does anyone know exactly how these feeders are made or have an idea how you would do it?

Matt

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Alan Scotthorne did an article a while ago in February's Match Fishing Magazine about his inline Feeders that he adapted himself.

He glued a piece of rig tubing to the inside of the Cage Feeder (the side were the weight is attached) and then put some Tail Rubbers over the ends of the Tubing just to neating it all up, one thing he did mention though was that he does like to add extra weight to the feeders to add to the bolt rig effect as he felt it made the hook grab hold better.

or have a look at this link, it may give you some ideas on how to make your own.

http://www.total-fishing.com/Features.aspx?Category=coarse&ID=DIY_Inline_Feeder

Last edited:

Dave Lumb

Reaction score
Dave Lumb makes some nice in-line maggot feeders on this page. Dave uses this forum so maybe he can tell you how to make the open end in-lines.

I made some from the old Preston Innovations open end feeders, but they don't seem to be available any longer.

Nisa make in-line feeders- link

(I've not tried them by the way, just pointing out they exist.)

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Been there done these 5 or 6 years ago!
If you're thinking of using them on the river, then you'll get lots of tangles as the feeder get moved in the flow. I stopped using them for this reason and I was using quite stiff hooklinks Kyston Super Mantis. If you used standard braid the tangles were even worse.

The only application I now use them for is on Stills.

But if you want to make them, somewhere on this site are articles I wrote on making big homemade openended feeders. All you do is follow the instrution and drill 2 holes in wings you bend over to lock the lead to the feeder and insert a piece of stiff boomtube a couple of mm longer than the length of the lead.
You then take a tappered piece of metal, a small old Philips screwdriver will do, heat it up and insert down the hole in the centre of the tube and make a flange at both ends. The flanges stop the tube working out of the lead.

Easy Peasy!

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

If somebody tells me how to put photos on this site I'll stick one up on the finished product. SV the TF one would last one cast on the Ribble and it'd be knackered!

---------- Post added at 13:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Just had a look for the article and it looks like half of how to make the leads are missing. So if you want to know how, e-mail me and I'll send you the word doc it was wrote on.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Matt, Dave's a mate of mine. If you're OK with me passing your email addy to him I'm sure he'll drop you a line. Having said that, I thought the instructions in his article were fairly clear 30mm diameter clear tubing (pole top 3 stuff I think, from any tackle shop), stiff rig tubing, window lead (he's stripped most of the church roofs in Harrogate so he has to use the stick on stuff for double glazing) all stuck together with araldite.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

Instead of window lead, you can also drill some holes to take a dead cow, which is more versatile imo.

Matthew White

Reaction score
Hi Sean

By all means, pass on mu email to Dave. I was just interested in certain details of the feeders. Such as the silicone tubing etc.

Cheers Sean and to everyone else who replied.

Matt

sagalout

Reaction score
I convert all my feeders to inline. I use the insulation from 1mm twin and earth cable and hot melt glue, epoxy would work just as well but is much more expensive. Hot melt glue is totally waterproof.

I cut the powergum and swivel away from the feeder and then glue a length of insulation inside the cage. To attach it to the swivel, thus making a bolt rig, I use either a length of esp silicon tubing over the insulation and then over the eye of the swivel or I put a drennan float stop on the line before the feeder and slide this up behind the insulation to stop the feeder moving.

For a maggot feeder you could glue the insulation along the outside of the feeder.

richiekelly

Reaction score
a very good material for making our own feeders are old x rays i used to get mine from work when things made for the MOD had been x rayed for cracks

simon garrard

Reaction score
hi guys , make my inline feeders using plastic tube the pva comes on large size , glue a lenght of stiff rig tube in middle , then cut strips of lead which is then glued either side of tubing couple of sleeves either end of tubing and hey presto , instant inline feeder ! in fact a certain well known angler from dorset was so impressed that several were liberated from my tackle box . talk about basking in reflected glory