Smell/Taste of bait

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Well - can you smell anything under water? I can't and I bet fish can't either. Taste is the important sense, so it is flavours and not scents that count. Agree? Disagree?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Agree and disagree - I can't smell underwater because I didn't evolve to live underwater.

Smell and taste are interdependent in humans and I suspect the same can be said for many other animals including fish.

Fish don't 'smell' things in the same way we are familiar with but I think they still detect scent trails in the water.

delphi 73

Reaction score
Well - can you smell anything under water? I can't and I bet fish can't either. Taste is the important sense, so it is flavours and not scents that count. Agree? Disagree?

Smell and taste are very similar, if you have no sense of smell you have a VERY limited sense of taste. So I sort of agree with you but scents and taste are detected by chemical receptors and there location determines if its a taste or a smell!

Frothey

Reaction score
you're trying to attribute human senses to a fish - they "smell" and "taste" in completely different ways to us.

remember we live in a different medium to fish, if air was "thicker" we would smell and taste differently. probably like chicken :)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"Daddy, why does that fish smell."

"It doesn't smell son. You smell, it stinks!"

------------------

Yes, they do smell as Frothey say, in a different way. We can only taste sweet, salt, sour, bitter and umami. Everything else is because of smell.

How come salmon smell their way up rivers?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
you're trying to attribute human senses to a fish - they "smell" and "taste" in completely different ways to us.

remember we live in a different medium to fish, if air was "thicker" we would smell and taste differently. probably like chicken :)

Spot on. Gas (air) carries smell. Liquids carry flavour/tastes. Why do fish have nostrils? For the same reason I have nipples! :)

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I can't smell underwater because I didn't evolve to live underwater. Smell and taste are interdependent in humans and I suspect the same can be said for many other animals including fish. Fish don't 'smell' things in the same way we are familiar with but I think they still detect scent trails in the water.

Exactly :confused:

supgen

Reaction score
I'd hate to sniff up under water lol, taste/smell are both linked are they not?

Frothey

Reaction score
and in humans, sight from a recognition point of view.

if you blindfold someone, put a peg on their nose and give someone an onion to eat, they'll more than likely say they were eating an apple......

njb51

Reaction score
Same goes for cinnamon, Frothey.

A test was done where a persons nose was pegged, and they were then given a powdery substance. I think one of the 15 or so subjects identified cinnamon straight away. The 14 others couldn't identify what it was.......until their noses were unpegged. They identified cinnamon immediately.

Philip

Reaction score
As kids at school we used to pinch our noses when we were asked to eat things we did not like as that way we would not taste it….yes, smell and taste are linked. While a fish may not “smell” as we do it does “taste” the flavors carried on the water…I think its just down to an interpretation of the word “smell”.

It would be interesting to know how big a % of finding a bait is down to “smell/taste” and how much is down to sight. More and more I get the feeling during daylight sight plays a pretty big part.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you, as a human, do with your senses. You are talking about a fish that lives its entire life beneath the water where evolution has equipped it to use its senses to locate food, danger, location, shoal mates, breeding grounds and partners etc.

Of course they can smell, see, taste, hear and touch. They may even have other senses which we cannot relate to but that's for another thread.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Why do fish have nostrils? For the same reason I have nipples! :)

so you have nipples so you can detect scent in the water then Geoff !!!!!

They must get very sensitive after a dip in the sea lol

richiekelly

Reaction score
fish can detect odours in the water using their olfactory (is that spelt correctly ?) system wether its smelling as we understand it i dont know.