Rod license for sea anglers????

Specihunter

Reaction score
Are we heading for rod licenses for Sea angling as Alan Yates suggests to safe guard sea angling or is sea angling alright as it is. Me how can it work when I have only been asked for my coarse rod license once and who would police it ?

Specihunter

Reaction score
In angling Times Alan Yates has said that sea anglers should have a rod license to safe guard the future of the sport . My question is how can it be a benefit to sea angling , when the biggest threat is from commercial fishing and will the EA be able to police the entire coast as they can't police the whole rivers ,lakes and canals ?

Specihunter

Reaction score
According to Alan it could be used help local clubs, improve parking and even help fish stocks. But no offcial statement on how the funds could be used.

Waveney One

Reaction score
How many times have you been asked by the police to produce your driving licence? The fact is that I have never been asked to produce mine to a policeman. How many times have you been breathalysed? Never in my case. I am asked 3 or 4 times a year for my rod licence.

The fact that it is illegal to drive without a licence and/or ****** means that people comply with the law. Just because there isn't an EA bailiff hiding behind every breakwater or speeding about at sea in a jet boat checking licences does not mean people won't buy one.

Have a look here http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40963 and see that 'The Angling Trust has secured a two-year £60,000 funding agreement from a charitable trust to appoint a Marine Environmental Campaigns Manager to campaign on behalf of anglers about the review of the Common Fisheries Policy, marine dredging, controls on commercial trawlers, marine conservation zones and other issues affecting sea fisheries. We need £9,000 more match funding from new membership subscriptions and donations to unlock this funding. The Bass Anglers’ Sportfishing Society has already generously donated £1,000 to the cause. If you can help, please get in touch or donate on our web site.'

People are working on your behalf and all you can do is whine? Have you joined the Angling Trust? Why not buy a rod licence whether it is a legal requirement this year or not? Sure as eggs is eggs it will soon be a requirement to have a rod licence if you fish in the sea. After all the EA is responsible for the inshore waters of England & Wales. But I don't suppose that you are aware of that.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Can I point out that cops only ask for drivers license if you get pulled over and breathalysed if they believe that you are over the limit or smell alcohol on your breath so that really isn't a good argument. No I joined haven't joined yet . Who said I was whining I just pointed out that all the time I have been fishing I have only been asked for my rod license once I used to fish commercials alot so I wasn't hard to find , I do have a coarse rod license for this year. Yes I do know the EA look after our waters .

Waveney One

Reaction score
That is exactly the point of the argument.

For people to comply with the law does not mean that licences have to be checked regularly. As a community we respect the law and buy licences because they are required. NOT because we are afriad someone will check whether we have one or not.

J K

Reaction score
As a community we respect the law and buy licences because they are required. NOT because we are afriad someone will check whether we have one or not.

Some of us do, not all, else why the need for checks?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Alan Yates is a respected authority but I think we'll need a bit more than just better parking to get sea-anglers to buy a license. I think it could be a good thing though IF the money is spent wisely. It could help pull the freshwater/saltwater disciplines together and in unity there is strength.

Waveney One

Reaction score
You are obviously correct Geoff, in unity there is strength.

JK, I didn't say that they should never be checked, merely that they needn't be checked all the time. Unfortunately there are people who don't/won't comply with any laws, that is the nature of people. Years ago society would have pilloried (literally) or tarred and feathered them, now they get a pat on the back and offered counselling or even more hand outs.

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Surely the question is why should angling/anglers require any licence at all? Envage, or whatever they call themselves now, are Government funded, being a Government agency, so licence revenue is not to fund them, which in itself would be wholly unfair, if it were, because Envage do not confine themselves to angling, but cover a broad spectrum of environmental matters that have nothing at all to do with fishing. Coarse/Game angling is the only sport in the England, Wales and Ulster (apart from Boxing and shooting I think ) where you require a licence to participate. No licences is required in Scotland, and they seem to do fine. Its just another stealth tax in my opinion.

Waveney One

Reaction score
In my view Colin, the reason why we should pay is that money is ring fenced for fisheries and has Government money put on top of it. The Government will not be increasing its' funding in future years, but reducing it whilst it continues to build cycle paths etc for those who cycle but don't pay. If we do not pay for licences then the fisheries dept of the EA will disappear and then where will the research be done, will there be restocking, who will pump oxygen into poluted rivers and lakes?

By the way, has anyone ever seen a cyclist use a cycle track alongside a road?

dezza

Reaction score
As an occasional sea angler I think that a licence would be a good idea. Having a licence gives an angler legitimacy and provides funds which hopefully will be used to improve the fishing.

Much of my salt water angling of late has been done off the coast of New South Wales where a licence to fish is necessary. There is also, close to Cronulla, a fish hatchery which is used to maintain fish stocks in the area.

I realise that Australia is a different place with much greater wealth and resources than the UK, but wouldn't it be a good idea to have fish hatcheries here in the UK?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I realise that Australia is a different place with much greater wealth and resources than the UK

Now you are really having a laugh Ron.

As to sea anglers needing a license, how on earth could you effectively 'police' that idea?

What benefit would there be for a sea angler to buy one?

I don't see the idea ever getting more than lip service from sea anglers at all.