New Lens (well new to me)

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand Nikon 400mm f2.8 AF lens. Only taken a couple of test shots with it so far, but the differnce between this and my Sigma monster is very obvious. The test shots are absolutely pin sharp. The only drawback is the weight, but one has to suffer something for the vast improvement in quality I suppose.

The Monk

Reaction score
I just bought a second hand Nikon 400mm f2.8 AF lens. Only taken a couple of test shots with it so far, but the differnce between this and my Sigma monster is very obvious. The test shots are absolutely pin sharp. The only drawback is the weight, but one has to suffer something for the vast improvement in quality I suppose.

I bet that was expensive mateave a Sigma 170-500 ASP, about 2K cheaper than a Nikkor version, I can live with the loss of quality

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Don't make the mistake of thinking that all Sigma lenses are inferior to camera manufacturer's lenses (Nikon, Canon, etc). That Sigma lens I sold to Cakey a year or so ago mentioned on this thread I've just bought it back off him. It's one of the sharpest lenses I've used of any make, including Nikon.

OK, it might not have the same build quality as the Nikon equivalent but optically it's top class. Mark Wintle uses exactly the same lens on his Canon and he takes some great shots.

The Monk

Reaction score
ac tually I agree Graham, but only in certinly lenese, some are actually better than Nikkor and to be honest I have a Sigma here, 35-70 and the build looks better than my 18-200 Nikkor.

200 squid to you Graham and I`m breaking my balls at that mate, haha

dezza

Reaction score
And if you are looking for a wide angle lens, fo ca £350 you cannot beat the Sigma 10/20mm. The reviews on this lens are tremendous and it give a better resolution and contrast than a similar Nikkor..

And it's built like a bloody brick shithouse!

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
I have the 50-500 Sigma zoom. The images I get from it are only just acceptable, sometimes. This "new" acquisition is streets better.

I have no doubt that some of the Sigma lenses produce stunning images, as indeed, do Tamrac. I have the Sigma 150mm macro that is excellent, and the Tamrac 19-35mm wideangle zoom, which is also excellent.

captain carrott

Reaction score
I have the 50-500 Sigma zoom. The images I get from it are only just acceptable, sometimes. This "new" acquisition is streets better.

I have no doubt that some of the Sigma lenses produce stunning images, as indeed, do Tamrac. I have the Sigma 150mm macro that is excellent, and the Tamrac 19-35mm wideangle zoom, which is also excellent.

you must be doing someting wrong with it then i've seen shots from these that would make your jaw drop.

it's widely regarded as one of their good ones.

The Monk

Reaction score
Just ordered me prime F1, I should be able to cover every eventuality now with the 18-200 and the 170-500