River Carping

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Got any good stories abour river carping? Has anyone done any trotting for them, as in stepped-up stickfloat fishing? Now that would be good fun! Something I've often thought about but never actually got round to trying.

P

Philip Inzani

Yep....I have caught them trotting. It was in Austrailia I used to wade out to drop offs in mid river where the bottom plummeted from just a few inches to several feet in a matter of inches and trotting a float out into the deeper water....six pound floating line a medium size Balsa float size eight hook and three grains of corn...away you go..great fun!

C

Carp Angler

I've had one on rolled meat.
Definitely heart stopping on barbel gear.

S

Stewart Bloor

I've had a 23.3 from the Great Ouse and a 12.12 from the Severn, both this year, while fishing for barbel. The biggest I had while actually fishing for carp was 10.5 !!

N

Neil Wayte

As some of you may know I have a thing about the Royalty Fishery on the Hants Avon.I've been trying to catch a 30lb Mirror that I netted for a guy a couple of years ago.
Last winter I was fishing the Parlour with Colin Davidson,as usual I had atake before he had his rods out.Normally the carp come to the top as soon as hooked,this one stayed deep and Colin started taking pics.It ran upstream and then weeded me so I had to hand line it free.It then ran down the pool almost out in to the main river.I finally got it back up to where I was fishing but still it would not come up off the bottom and I still had not seen it.By now both Colin and I were convinced that I had some thing special on.All of a sudden the fish gave up and popped to the surface and was netted.All 10lb 4oz of it.Yet another Common for me and Colin had shot a whole roll of film of the fight.Laugh I nearly let him catch one.

C

Chris Bishop

This is probably the only form of carp fishing I'd ever get into.
Two or three times I've seen good carp on the drains up here and often thought of going after them.
I'm out of my depth when it comes to anything more complicated than a dead fish on two great big trebles, so where do you start..?

S

Stewart Bloor

Funnily enough Chris, last year I had a 12 lb mirror carp on...a dead fish and two great big trebles....

N

Neil Wayte

Chris let me know where you live and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

P

peter webber

NEIL If I could catch fish like your 15lb 8oz koi seen in the am then I would have a thing about the avon too.
Well done its a lovely fish

N

Neil Wayte

Peter the Avon isn't hard.Phone Davis angling and book yourself a day in the Parlour pool(?12 for two rods this time of year)Any of the overhanging bushes at the bottom end of the pool will have fish under them,Tutti Frutti boilies are all thats required and a few trout pellets.Altenatively Watersmeet at the end of the pool and cast under the willow opposite.But don't move from your rods you have been warned.

C

Chris Bishop

Neil,

I'm up in King's Lynn, so fish most of the drains, Ouse, Roswell, Wissey Pools etc.

I've seen them at both ends of the Delph during summer, the Ouse and Roswell Pits - a chain of lakes attached to the Ouse near Ely.

There were some seriously good ones caught on The Lark this season, best was just over 30.

I also know the Nene's got them in around Peterborough, but I've only fished this a couple of times in the winter.

It's probably more of a pipe dream than a serious goer but if anyone wants to know where I saw fish I'm happy to pass it on.

P

Peter Andrews

At the end of September I went fishing for Carp for the first time on the river Thames. I`d not really fished for Carp before let alone on the river using the small boillies I had left over from Tenching at my local pit and managed to hook into a cracking 16.8oz. Since then I`ve gone back to chasing Chub and Perch over the winter but plan on major effort next season. Brought your book Neil excellent mate maybe in the future if you update it I might be able to contribute to your Thames chapter

D

Dave Johnson

for James Stewart-river carping, not the old warbly western hero......