What size micro pellets

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Up to now I've always used scalded pellets in a gripmesh as my attractor for barbel but I've seen a few anglers who are much more knowledgable than I using small pellets in Kamasan black caps. What size pellets should I use? I have 3 and 4 mil.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I suppose that would depend on the size of the holes in your feeders.

If you use proper micro pellets of say 1mm the chances are they may wash to far down stream, but if you mixed them up with 1mm and say 3 mm pellets that could help make a larger more attractive swim for you.

Don't forget you can also catapult larger pellets in to your swim over the top of the ones in the feeder to add even more variation and keep a bit more of an attractant in your chosen swim.

I would perhaps suggest using a Bait Dropper instead of the Swim Feeder if you are fishing not to far out as an excellent way off introducing different sizes of Pellets in to a swim.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Micro pellets come in sizes down to .5mm but they are relatively expensive and ideally, you need a mixture of sizes to make a suitable scent/feed trail.

You can easily do your own. Either with a Korda Krusher or a coffee grinder. Crumble some bigger pellets to whatever consistancy you want, dampen them and put them in your feeder - either open ended or block end.

You can also mix in some fast breakdown pellets which will give you immediate scent/food leakage.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I would have thought 4mm were a bit too big ,for kamasan black cap ,but smaller ones would certainly get out.you can get salmon crumb also ,very small might even be too small but good in pva.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If you enlarge the holes in the maggot feeder you can even put 8mm in there and there is tool available in tackle shops to do just that if you can't do it yourself with a drill or whatever. I always put a 14mm pellet in the feeder so it sits on top of the other pellets and once they have been washed out you still have a scent trail from the 14mm stuck in the feeder.

strut5a

Reaction score
I tend to use 4ml pellets in a kamasan black cap but as Graham says I usually enlarge the holes slightly.

Keith M

Reaction score
I prefer to gently lower a PVA stocking full of 3mm soft pellets along with my bait, or loose feed at the top of my swim ever since I noticed the Barbel in my local river being spooked whenever there is a feeder in the swim resulting in them moving quickly away from the swim. I know every stretch of river is different but the feeder is now my last choice ever since I've seen this.

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Interesting Kieth,are the fish the same with all makes and sizes of feeder or is the feeders entry into the swim making them super spooky in the low conditions at the moment,maybe its a rig thing,the possibilities are endless.