ballistas

P

Pat Farr

hi, i'm thinking of getting some ballistas in a 2.5lb tc, will they handle pva bag work with a max fishing distance of about 80 yds?... your advice would be appreciated, just that someone told me they were a little overrated in their test curves. i'd also like some general opinions on them - suitable for carp up to 30lb or do i need something a bit meatier?

C

Carp Angler

In my opinion, Harrisons always over rate their carp rods.
Go for at least 1/2lb heavier in the desired TC.

On the seperate issue of PVA bags at 80 yards, then this is a long way to chuck a loaded bag.

I'd say that bag or method feeders at this distance would require rods of between 3 and 3 1/4 lb TC, unless you're owed some favours from your respective deity.

On the other point of whether 2 1/2 TC rods are suitable for large carp, then this is very difficult to answer as it depends on the waters you fish, not the size of the fish in there.

I've landed upper thirties off the top on 1 3/4 lb rods and 8lb hooklengths in clear water, but on another lake I fish where the carp only just make 20lb, then I would not go in with less than 2 3/4lb rods and 15lb line because of the weed, zebra and pea mussels and snag bushes.

P

Pat Farr

Sorry for being a bit vague... the water i'll be fishing is fairly snaggy with weed and reed beds. I think I could handle the snags with a genuine 2 1/2lb tc but if Harrisons are overrated I guess i'll need something a bit beefier? i can hit a pva bag about 80 yards with Powermesh 2 3/4s, but i'm not talking about big distance bags, just the pocket sized ones... I only asked for advice as I can get a very good deal on 3 ballistas in the 2 1/2lb tc but am in two minds whether to take the offer. I'd say most of my fishing is only done at about 40-50 yards, much of the time with small bags, any suggestions on what i should do?

C

Carp Angler

Small bags, coupled with small leads at 40 yards should be within the scope of 2 1/2 Ballistas, unless it's the Slims and then these are just the reserve of opulent bream anglers.

So in short, I'd say yes to small bags at 40 yards, but only you will know if you think they are suitable for the snags in your lake.
What do you classify as a good deal, what model are they and are they new or not?

P

Pat Farr

?135 for 3, mint, not sure of the model as I haven't actually seen them (the seller i know is reliable as I've dealt with him before). it's just one of those awkward offers i'm not sure whether to take or not. I will probably turn it down as i'd like the versatility to fish a bit further and with more confidence near snags...

As a matter of interest, how do you rate the powermesh Xs? i'm unsure what to make of them as I've sampled very few rods in my short carping career - I obviously don't have a huge budget to spend, that's why I opted for the powermeshes (think i got them as new for ?60 each). Thanks for the advice, it's all appreciated...

C

Carp Angler

I'd say to stick with the Powermesh X's.
They are good rods for the money.

Save your money and either spend it on something useful, or keep it in a 'Super Duper Rod Fund' pot, wait a few years and when you've saved ?500 you'll realise that your Powermeshes are still really good rods and do the job that you want and you'll have a wad of cash to boot.

P

Pat Farr

Ok, will heed your advice, thanks v much. The 'Super Duper Rod Fund' pot is beginning to take shape... custom builds in a year or two I fancy. Until student loans kick in that is.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Pat, I have three ballista slims in a 2.75lb tc, Carp Angler has played with them and rated them more like 2.5. However, I punch bags 80 yards with them mate and for me they give me everything I want in a rod. They are sturdy throughout and give where it counts,under your feet! Test them out, There are a few rumours of snappings, but I've never had any problems. I've had carp to 23lb out of the most snaggiest reed bed you could come across. In my opinion, take the deal and laugh at the rest!

Beware ballista blank copies though!

P

Pat Farr

Thanks Stuart, how on earth can I tell which blanks are genuine and which aren't, given my limited experience? I may also be on to a deal for some 3lb ballistas, I think they would be ideal for my water...

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Sound ideal Pat. I'm gonna kit up for a weeks fishing in France next year and will once again get some Balissta made up but probably around the 3.5 tc.

When I had mine made up, my rod builder was telling me there was a bad batch being sold. My advice is to get your rods made up from a reputable rod builder and or supplier. Although no-one in their right mind would say 'oh yeah, this is a dodgy batch, but don't worry', when it comes to reputation of quality suppliers and builders, they just wont risk it!
Just Ask!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
How's the medication Paul? I see they aint locked you up yet!!! -)

So when am I gonna taste the culinary delights of your much raved about lakeside Balti?

P

Paul Williams

I dunno if it's safe to go fishing with you!! poor Warren ain't been heard of since!!!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I was the por innocent organiser, you know that mate! little old me, shy and retiring etc!!!

P

Pat Farr

what would i expect to pay for a set of 3 2nd hand ballistas in 3lb tc? ?200 in good nick?

C

Carp Angler

Personally, I wouldn't give more than ?50 a throw for ANY Ballista.

Fatty, where's your perception of distance and length?
If you think you can chuck 80 yards, then I bet you think you're well hung as well.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
According to your grateful wife Rik - Yeah!

Pat, don't take no notice of Carp Angler, hes just jealous of my rods! ?200 would be a more than fair price mate.

R

Rodney Wrestt

He he he.....grateful wife, ah if only he knew...did I say that out loud?

P

Pat Farr

Just got m'self 3 x 3lb Ballistas, 10 months old, built by Trev's, loads of tarty stainless, fuji, excellent condition - all for 200 notes. Can't wait to give them a bash... thanks for your advice re test curves etc, and carp angler, I apologise for ignoring your advice ;)

i'm one happy bunny!