lathargic fish

newbieneil

Reaction score
went to a new venue today and spent 3 hours on one pool and 3 hours on another,when i got there there was a rake of carp about 2-4lb hoovering around right on the top litterally at my feet...set up a waggler rod and a feeder rod but could only fish one at a time(the rules)...all in all i blanked...but not only that....i didnt have a single tap on either the float nor the rod tip!!!...not even a single half baked bite to try and hit!...yet there were carp floating about 4ft away on the top...one of them i actually just put the net under him to see what would happen and he just turned on his side and went in as if nothing was happening!!!...i was thowing baits of bait at the fish and they just werent interested....it was surreal!!!...i then moved onto another pool and still no luck...i didnt see anyone else catch either while i was there.
the question is ...was it just this venue that was **** or is it slow for anyone else ? ....i know its basically winter now but 2 weeks ago i had about 40lb of fish on another larger water

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
If they were 'floating' on the top, they might just have been DEAD! :)

No wonder they weren't biting. Algae can cause a lack of oxygen in the water and although we are supposed to be in winter/autumn it's been bloody warm darn sarf this last week or so.

newbieneil

Reaction score
its not been too bad here in the midlands which is where it was...and like i say...2 weeks ago it was a very similar day weather-wise when i had one of the best days on a lake for ages!-i had tench ,bream,commons,mirrors and about 10 crucians aswell...theres meant to be a few specimen roach in this pool,one at 3lb!...i only went there cuz of that really...couldnt even catch a 3oz roach ! lol

Cakey

Reaction score
massive massive amounts of blue green algea going down the Lea Valley
but not seen any distressed fish yet but there is plenty of weirs putting oxygen back in so might get away with it