River Idle Fish-in: John Ledger Memorial

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Beecy has organised it the past couple of years. haven't seen him around recently - are you lurking Beecy?

If there's no reply I'll organise it.

dezza

Reaction score
I would much rather have a general fish-in instead of a match.

There are some seriously big roach in the Idle at present and it would be nice to see someone catch one. By packing up to weigh-in, cuts us off from the best fishing time.

Remember John was never a particularly keen match angler. He loved more than anything to catch a few quality roach on the float.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I suppose we could have a roach fish-in (don't tell Spiller!). Biggest roach wins the trophy. Let's wait until Graham gets back and make a decision.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
I always enjoyed Johns articles in the Angling star and it was his love of floatfishing on some of the rivers and stretches that I also fished, that first introduced me to FishingMagic. I always felt that, here was someone who mirrored the type of fishing that I enjoyed.

I never knew John personally, but he always found time to offer advice on the forums and now I look back I think we may of acknowledged each, other as anglers do, on some my favourite stretches of the Upper Witham, which was one of Johns favourite rivers many years ago.

Big roach on the Idle. I'm sure he would of enjoyed trotting the stickfloat for them, even more so if they had been big chub.

dezza

Reaction score
Old John Ledger (named ledger because he didn't like ledgering) was a laugh a minute to fish with. His favourite fish were chub followed by roach. He hated barbel, more because of the people who fished for them rather than the fish itself.

We fished together a great deal and I was pleased to say that I kept my end up when I float fished with him.

I have some great memories.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
John was an acctive poster on here when I 1st joined - never got to meet him sadly but he's views were honest is sometimes not pc - a few more like him would make the world a better place

dezza

Reaction score
John's remarks on all sorts of subjects, especially politics were certainly not PC. He loathed Tony Blair and all that he stood for, and used a very apt adjective when describing him.

John was a lover of old values and very conservative in his outlook. He thought the world of Sheffield anglers of old such as Tag Barnes and was a staunch supporter of Sheffield United FC. He gave Sheffield Wednesday short shrift.

We had a great deal in common, as like myself, John was a bit of a globe trotter having lived in South Africa and Australia. He was also an engineer who came up via the drawing office and Rotherham College of Arts and Technology like myself.

One of my last recollections of being in his presence was the morning we saw a UFO on the A1, just before crossing the Trent near Newark. It was certainly an unidentified flying object. He refused to talk about it afterwards.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I too remember John with very fond memories, unfortunately I never got to meet him. He said it how it was and didn't beat around the bush. I shared many emails with him, he was a lovely bloke and an excellant angler. He will always have my total respect.

I'd love attend the event again, but it all depends on the dosh, I'll have to see how I'm fixed nearer the time. I think I've got some unfinished business with a rather large steak to take care of too.........

captain carrott

Reaction score
if it's to comemorate john it should be a float only and for either chub or roach. considering what's in the idle then it should be roach an the biggest one wins if there's any competition involved.

captain carrott

Reaction score
why CC he didnt mind me piking when I met him on the Idle

because if it's a memorial for john then using his favourite methods for his favourite species on his favourite river would be a good way of doing it.

but as you point out everyone doing something completely different wouldn't have bothered him, he'd have been happy that you were out fishing and enjoying yourselves

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I've got some unfinished business with a rather large steak to take care of too.........

The left-overs might have gone off a bit by now Steve, reckon you'll have to start again from scratch . . . . . . . .

I'd love to get the chance to fish 'John's River' but I would have to know the date well in advance.