Beavers

T

Trev Alderton

What's the opinion on re-introducing beavers to Scottish rivers, will it make any differnce to the fishing up here???
PS Graham, we've had two new First Ministers since poor Donald died.

C

Craig Smith

With the european beaver making smaller dams surely with our floods they will not take the stresses of winter? On the other hand the above point they might fell more of the surrounding smaller trees to replace what has been washed downstream!? correct me if I'm wrong.
The beavers being veggy's will they eat any food which the fish do?
The dam's should provide shelter for fish which can't be a bad thing.
How closely will they be monitored in the light of recent bird/animal collector convictions?

W

Willie Russell

Why, is there another sort of beaver?

Oh yeah, just found it in a reference book 'furry thing with teeth and lives in water'.

The similarities are uncanny,what!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Aww, I had a great mental image till you said that. ;o}~

F

Frank Curtis

Be nice to see both kinds on the river bank.
Seriously though if the re-introduction of the beaver is going to cause a problem to anglers on some small rivers then thats something those anglers will have to find a way around. We can't fly the flag of conservation and then try to stop the re-introduction of what was, until a few centuries ago, an animal native to the U.K..
Like the otter they were inhabiting our waterways millions of years before man came down from the trees and started to walk on two legs so lets give them chance before we all start getting on our high horses.

D

Dave Kennedy

frank.
can you turn back time and reintroduce the same conditions that were in place when the beavers were present in the uk a few hundred years ago?.

if not, i dont think the beavers or the otters can survive without help from the fluffy bunny brigade. and we all know who will suffer when they get involved.

the mass deforestation and encroachment on their ex native habitat by man will make it very hard for them to survive.

Ps; we have got otters that have been reintroduced to our stretch of river. and the fishing has not been efected to much either.infact the specemin fish are caught from near to were there holt is.

BUT......a few years ago one was found dead on the M11 motorway. otters can travel up to 20 miles a night and with all the green belt land being required for new housing is it really fair to reintroduce these species?

C

Chris Bishop

I reckon beavers will be a top laugh. Just duck if you hear a little voice behind you shout: "Timbe-e-e-e-er..."

A

Andrew Thomas

I can't believe Paul Williams has not contributed to this thread...........

A

andrew jackson

I think the underlying problems that caused the demise of these animals should be addresed first, before this should be even considered. Otters have caused massive problems on still waters near to introduction sites. In fact, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure Otter reintroduction has been suspended indefinitly. To introduce wild animals to an environmemt that is no longer suitable for their existance is simply irresponsible.

Eric Edwards

Reaction score
"An environment that is no longer suitable for their existance"!!!

What the hell does that mean?

Carp continue to be introduced just about every where and they've caused massive problems if you open your eyes.

Personally I'm a big beaver fan. I just love the way their little noses poke out from their fur.

Eric

I

Ian Whittaker

Can't for the life of me think why beavers need reintroducing.Evolution rules! Whats next? wolves?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Paul,
Seen one of them but due to evolution it's now called Tyranasaurus RIK. ;o}~

C

Chris Bishop

They've stopped re-introducing otters because the original aim of the re-introduction project - ie to return the population to 1970s levels - has now been met.

Unfortunately, there are less fish in a lot of rivers than there were then and at the same time a lot of new stillwaters have sprung up along river catchments containing large coarse fish, which are very easy for otters to catch in the winter.

Beavers were wiped out by folks huntin' and a trappin' 'em for their fur. Not much of this going on today but can't see 'em lasting.

They actually re-introduced a load into Mid-Wales around 10 years ago and they were never seen again.

A

andrew jackson

"An environment that is no longer suitable for their existance"!!!

What the hell does that mean?

Well it means an environment that is no longer suitable for their existance, what else? What do you want, a essay on mans impact on the aquatic environment?

Yawwwwn more carp bashing, I am not going to rise for the bait because it simply bores me. Besides if you are so unfufilled and insecure in your fishing, that you feel you have to knock others, perhaps its time you had a look at the Golf Magic site.

A

andrew jackson

It would appear that the European Beaver suffered from hunting and deforestation, and even where it has been reintroduced it is considered at risk of further extictions. So in this particular case man has changed the environment by deforestation. So the environment is no longer suitable for their existance, because of the lack of trees. Thats what the hell it means!