Float Making Insight

George387

Reaction score
I have been asked by a few FM members if I would take pen to paper or fingers to keyboard, whatever you prefer and put together an insight on float making.

I thought better of it at first as Im no expert at writing or float making its simply a hobby I enjoy doing in my spare time and my floats aid in catching fish for myself & others, my wife's health is now on the up so I have a bit more spare time in the evenings and thought if some younger members can get any tips from the way I do it then the dying art may continue for a while more.

For the lads who were asking for a progress report recently by PM, the report is the page is almost complete, just 2 more photographs to be taken in the process then I will upload it to the internet, I estimate 3 to 4 days as I want to use the float I have constructed from the beginning and I have to wait on lacquer drying times. It is nothing special it is just a picture by picture way and a few words on each stage.

*Please note*
Before I release the page for viewing, This insight is purely the way I create my floats and is by no means the proper way to do things.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i'll look forward too that ,glade your wife's on the mend ,not had much time of late too get down to serious floatmaking yet ,been playing with my new toy (and breaking it :wh ,well the autofeed drive belt) i've only been able too reshape some large body's into more suitable sizes and shapes so far .but will be investing in new bits & pieces soon for it soon .

George387

Reaction score
Thanks Ray & Steve, So what you been up to steve that you broke your new toy....taking it beyond its limits and experimenting I shouldnt wonder ;)
Ive done quite a bit since getting my toy mainly in cork now I have something half decent to turn it with and am really happy with the results so far, just got to convince myself for the copier we spoke about. :)

George387

Reaction score
Finally finished :) I hope that this will give some tips to the FM members who have been asking me about it.
As I said a couple of days ago in my post this is MY way of making floats and this should be remembered if you have another way or better way then please Im always happy to hear your views but am not looking for criticism on the way I do things. Thanks.

http://traditionalfloats.webs.com/float creation/float creation.htm

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Float making tutorial.

Just read/viewed George`s piece.....an excellent insight into the art of float making.
Wether it be a home made lure,trout fly or a float,the satisfaction of catching a fish whilst using it must be enormous.

Many thanks George.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A great article George....nice to see this stuff in the public domain as the instructional books you mention are very difficult to get hold of!I'm sure it will help many newcomers to the art of float making

A question,if you don't mind giving out info....Can you tell me what make of flourescent paint AND what lacquer you use to finish your floats??
I have tried various Hhmbrol paints and different varnishes which last for a while but breakdown eventually

Thanks for your help!

George387

Reaction score
Tee Cee & Nick thanks for the vote of confidence always nice to read constructive comments.
I have nothing to hide & I dont mind sharing info with anyone.

Tee Cee I too have used Humbrol, Airfix, plasticote and many other paints but found by sheer chance a company in Hull who produce safety paint for public & commercial uses and they do fluorescent enamel in a variety of colours so tried one tin, then another & another and this is who I have finally settled with as Im happy with the finishes they produce. I stick to the 3 most widely used colours as mentioned in the insight.
They have their own website which is www.kpaints.co.uk but can also be found on that well known auction site.

As for the wood finishes I passed this information to others on the old forum but it seems to be lost to eternity when FM switched servers.

I use a Morrells severe use waterbourne lacquer at 10% sheen, however you can go right up to 85% sheen if you so require. I stumbled across it when I was doing some refurbishing work on the mess dance floor whilst in the armed forces and since then have used it throughout my home for all my wood. It is done in 5 or 25 litre tubs, I bought the 5 litre tub which I think cost me around £35 and after completing my home used the remainder for my floats.
I wouldnt dream of using any oil based varnish ever again on any of my wood products or floats after using this stuff, thats how highly I think of it.
The morrells website http://www.morrells.co.uk/products/wood/15#63 & the product code is 8103/362, I never bought it directly from morrells as I have a local rydenor woodfinishing store close to me and this is where I discovered it & use them for it, who I believe will do it in 1 litre bottles if you so require for around £7 or £8.

Hope this helps you out

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Very good write up on float making George, over the years I have made many floats in a similar way, the difference being I use a Piller drill for making a hole in the cork/balsa.

I use Morrells products for work, for floors and Bar Tops, great product, and have been using water based finishes for a number of years.

I don't think you can get morrells products direct, unless you have an account, but i may be wrong. Anyone having trouble getting Morrells, try Wicke's or Dulux water based floor finish. Very strong, and come in a few different finishes, matt, sheen and gloss.

Very nice floats George

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Excellent George, thank you. This must have taken quite some time to put together. Your effort is much appreciated.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
A nice article Goerge, thanks.

Did have some pictures that wouldn't load but that didn't spoil the overall content.

George387

Reaction score
thanks guys, it was done solely to pass some techniques onto the younger generation but aimed at everyone as I had quite a few PM's from members inquiring about tips and how I done things after the last thread we done on the old server. Im a great believer in passing things on or the art will simply fade away and everyone will end up with the plastic stuff...which I often see and cringe...but thats only me...:)

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Can't be sure George but i think I've bought a few of your porcupine quills over the last 6 months or so from that famous auction site. Use them matched to a pin on a MkIV avon. Just the job.

George387

Reaction score
Can't be sure George but i think I've bought a few of your porcupine quills over the last 6 months or so from that famous auction site. Use them matched to a pin on a MkIV avon. Just the job.

Not from me mate I dont sell on that auction site I only make to order from my website, & I havent made porcupine quills for ages, although I do make them with many other quill floats.:)
http://traditionalfloats.webs.com/index.htm

Last edited:

George387

Reaction score
incase anyone is trying to access this topic, the server where the instructions are housed is currently having difficulties and is offline, they hope to have the problem resolved in the next 24 hours.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Thanks George, I was getting broken link messages, that explains why :)

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Thanks George, I've just had a look, that's a great little article, very informative. I like the model makers lathe you have. I've only dabbled in making floats a few years ago and used the drill and sandpaper method you mention.

Thanks for posting the link.
Tightlines.

George387

Reaction score
Thanks George, I've just had a look, that's a great little article, very informative. I like the model makers lathe you have. I've only dabbled in making floats a few years ago and used the drill and sandpaper method you mention.

Thanks for posting the link.
Tightlines.

More than welcome Rodney, Jeff is going to make an article on this website so that should save it from any server faults unless this Forum goes down :) I can only state Im not the best float maker but do enjoy making them in my spare time & if anyone can get tips from it then its achieved its aim :)