How to tie a safer loop rig.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
1) Take a 18 inch length of line of a lower b/s than the main line.

2) Lay this length of line parallel to the main line, pinch the two together between thumb and forefinger 18 inches up from the end of the mainline, tie a three turn water knot.

3) Slide a small link swivel followed by a micro bead up the thinner length of line.

4) Again pinch the two lines together at the point you wish to create the feeder loop, tie another three turn water knot at this point.

5) Trim off the tag ends of the thinner line. At this point you should have the fully formed feeder loop with a foot of mainline hanging from the bottom.

6) Double the loose length of main line back on itself and adjust it to the desired length you want the stand off loops to be. Pinch this new loop at the point of the lower water knot, this then has to be knotted to the feeder loop, the knot I would use is the same knot I use as a sliding stop knot or you could describe it as half a uni knot. Wet the knot and slide it down to rest against the water knot.

7) At this point you now have two joined loops, all that is left to do is to tie a couple of overhand loops in the lower loop to create the stand off loops.

8) Attach a lower b/s hook length than the lower breaking strain line used to form the rig and it's job done.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
That sounds just like the rig I said about on the other thread.

Fred,

I'd only use it in open water, and thats about the only place I would use a loop rig of any kind

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I agree with Ray Clarke and would only use it in open snag free water. It wouldn't necessarely be my first choice in those circumstances either.

So as far as I am comcerned we have fixed somthing that wasn't broken.