Carp only match

maver man

Reaction score
Hi all need some advice.
I have been invited to a carp only match on sunday by the the owner of my local tackle shop, I dont know if i should fish due to many reasons such as every time i fish there i do **** and dont wanna waste me money and i dont know what the fish go on but i want to fish it because i dont wanna be rude and reject his offer and because i wanna trying beat this cocky kid who is gunna be fishing it.

HELP!!!!!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Why not just go with with an open mind,no targets or anything. You may as well treat the day as a learning curve,I am sure your tackle shop bloke will give you the info you need,just do your best,and most of all enjoy it..

r1paul

Reaction score
Spot on Peter , don`t go if you are looking at it as a bit of a task or just to beat a " cockey kid " , go to enjoy yourself and find new mates , spend time talking to other anglers and learn new ideas .
If I remember rightly , you are 15 years old , you have a hell of a lot of years ahead of you to enjoy your fishing , start it off by learning and don`t worry about " cocky kids ".;) :D

maver man

Reaction score
Lol thanks les.
But cocky kids just wind me up something chronic and it gets me all competitive lol.

richiekelly

Reaction score
im afraid you will meet more cocky kids and adults while fishing they dont really matter what does is learning about your sport the best anglers that i know are quiet people but will give help when asked these are the people to learn from enjoy the day

maver man

Reaction score
Cheers blanker.
Lol stealph i am 15 and dont worry i am far from cocky trust me if you compared me to the little blighter's near me you would see a difference not to mention the way they handle the fish and the way they set up their gear it is appalling.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I just thought that a 15 year old wanting to prove a point to a juvenille to put him in his place was a little ironic :D

All teenagers are Cocky it's in their make up :wh :j

maver man

Reaction score
Lol okay stealph but i dont think being cocky get a 15 year old a job 1 day after work experience and an apprenticeship in catering.
Anyway stop stereo typing teenagers lol some of them are sound a pound.

slime monster

Reaction score
Enjoy your day mate ,I would feed two lines ..one on a swimfeeder containing groundbait and loose feed ..corn and pellet for example try to cast to the same spot on a regular basis even if this means not fishing too far out ,while the feeder is at work feed a spot in the margins little and often preferably to a feature overhanging grass or any cover .if the feeder is slow or not producing have a look with a float down the side ,if you feed it regularly the Carp should appear later in the match
GOOD LUCK
This is just a set of ideas that can produce the goods not a winning formula as you will find with experience nothing is a sure bet in matchfishing

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Try staring at him all through the match and giving him the odd wink - after the match go over and put your arm round him and say how well he fished - then suggest the 2 of you go night fishing half term - that will put him of his stride- if it doesn't them run!!;bp

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Yo maver dude, how did the match go then?

Did you beat the cocky kid or did you watch him and learn so that you can beat him next time.

Above all did you go along and enjoy the experience? You will meet lots of new angling friends at matches and some of them might even become good fishing buddies in the future.

M

MCMILLIGAN

You want to get out as much as you can get yourself known in the angling community, you learn alot of the older generation also people become to know you and recommened you for the odd jobs. as long as youi enjoy it go, take no notice of the nobs

maver man

Reaction score
Lol thanks guys.
Nah paul i am not that way inclined although good way of putting him off ;) lol
A decent lad no older than 20 won the match with 10lb dead on and 2oz won second place lol.
The cocky kid didnt fish the match in the end but he did come over and talk to me and when i explained my rigs and tactics he looked at me gone out and walked off scratching his head haha.
Over all i did enjoy it and there is another match on sunday down the local canal so i will most probably fish that if me maggots and gone to casters :confused:

Dal

Reaction score
Well done Maver, have a go at the match on Sunday you can only learn mate ;)

Can I say that it's very nice to see a 15 year old being able to spell and not type in "text speak" :rolleyes:

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks del i shall and get down there if cant theres always next weekend as there is another carp only match :)
Lol i never use text speak to be honest.