Barbel Record Smashed!!!!!!

CAT

Reaction score
OK well so the rumor has it!

I am hearing off a few people in the know and in a few tackle shops that there are reports of a massive Barbel well over 20lb being caught from a certain location on the river Trent but the capture for some unknown reason wants no publicity, to be honest I'm not interested in the bloke who caught it but i would like to see a picture of the fish if it actually exists.

Anyone heard anything similar on the grape vine?

Right, I'm now off to the Trent Barbeling hope I'm tempting fate ;-)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Its true, it was me ,cant give any details at the moment. But all will come to light when I get my cheque from the Sunday Sport.

Mike Stafford

Reaction score
Apparently the photo shows a fish nearer 14lb than 22lb. The old telescopic arms technique was used as well.

S

Scott Whatmore

If he didn''t want any publicity. Why has he told all and sundry including the local paper?

Smells a bit fishy to me. A local club or tackle shop feeding a line to drum up more business?

POLO

Reaction score
If it's happened it's happend and congratulations to the lad. I would however like to see a pic and the article on Newarks website seems a little vague even mentioning the stretch. If the person didn't want the publicity then why on earth is it on there?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I wonder if Spiders was weighing the fish for him,,,:D

Anyway if he has caught it, then good luck, as for keeping quiet about it, well, nuf said.

CAT

Reaction score
Aha Well, seems there may be some truth in it after all but either way good luck to the lad if he did manage a whopper, i know one thing though the Trent will hold the Barbel record some time soon, so maybe its not as far fetched as some of you have been making out.

I fished the Trent at Kelham today and the river has come up a couple of feet since the showers i had a couple of small Barbel and fished in to dark, the constant flow of leaves were a nuisance mind.

A

alan whittington

Not if the waste disposal men have their way.Best of luck to the fella if its genuine,the Trent needs a lift.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Aidrian, the perch if i remember right was 8lb 12oz, had much bigger since then, the tench was 19- 23lb cant remember, since then, my scales have been repaired, they were found to be underweighing, both fish were caught from a tributary of the river Bollin in Cheshire

The bad one

Reaction score
Aidrian, the perch if i remember right was 8lb 12oz, had much bigger since then, the tench was 19- 23lb cant remember, since then, my scales have been repaired, they were found to be underweighing, both fish were caught from a tributary of the river Bollin in Cheshire

Yes Mr Spider that brook out of Rostherne is a dammed go perch water for big perch. However, the mouth into the mere is even better. Had two fish of 9lb 5 oz, must have been the same year class I think.
I actually saw a fish swimming around my livebait powen I caught in the mere on single squat, that at first looking I though was a carp. As it turned sidewards I could see it was a very large perch half as much again as the 2 perch I'd just landed. If pushed to to put a weight on it, I'd say it was 12+ at a minimum. Awesome fish! Awesome water!