The underused waters of the High Peak

dezza

Reaction score
I have driven the A628 on many occasions in the past. For those regularly use this route will know that it passes through some of the most beautiful and stark countryside in England.

Last Friday, myself and Shane Calton decided to have a day at Arnfield Fishery which is located near to Tintwistle on the edge of the Peak District. Because I wasn't driving, I was able to get a good look at the surrounding countryside. What struck me was that this area is a veritable lakeland of water, high altitude reservoirs that are home to many wild brown trout.

Now don't start getting excited because on the vast majority of these waters, angling is prohibited. Why I am not quite sure.

Certainly the opening up of these lakes to well controlled and regulated fly fishing would help create wealth and jobs in this area. And why fly fishing? simply because these waters are perfect for it.

Why, on one of them there were big trout swirling and rising on the water.

But what do you think? Should such wonderful waters be opened up as trout fisheries?

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I have driven the A628 on many occasions in the past. For those regularly use this route will know that it passes through some of the most beautiful and stark countryside in England.

Last Friday, myself and Shane Calton decided to have a day at Arnfield Fishery which is located near to Tintwistle on the edge of the Peak District. Because I wasn't driving, I was able to get a good look at the surrounding countryside. What struck me was that this area is a veritable lakeland of water, high altitude reservoirs that are home to many wild brown trout.

Now don't start getting excited because on the vast majority of these waters, angling is prohibited. Why I am not quite sure.

Certainly the opening up of these lakes to well controlled and regulated fly fishing would help create wealth and jobs in this area. And why fly fishing? simply because these waters are perfect for it.

Why, on one of them there were big trout swirling and rising on the water.

But what do you think? Should such wonderful waters be opened up as trout fisheries?

Ron if you'd done some checking before you put this post up, you'd have found that Bottoms Reservoirs, which are the one you are talking about, were run 30 years ago as fly waters by the Nation owned Northwest Water. And your beloved Thatcher sold the WAs to her mates at a knockdown prices. The waters were closed by said mates, as stocking them eroded their profits, weren't part of the core business to rip off the the enforced punters that don't have free market to shop around. United Utilities who now own them have the wost record for customer care of any of the the Water cos in the UK.

Further to this, they closed another 15 reservoirs down completely. In two cases they sold the land for development for houses. Not long after the axe had fell on these resers, they then started moaning that because of the dry winter and summer they didn't have enough water in the system to service the needs of the punters, brought in a hosepipe ban and threatened the said punters with stand pipes if they didn't reduce water usage.

Now when those resers were built they were built to service the needs of the NW populous, and the then heavy industry it had, that was a huge consumer of water.
In sort the Manchester Corporation Water Works and others knew what they were doing and the quantities they would need over the next 200 years. BTW the population of the NW shrank from the late 70s to the 00s the water usage though went up.

But Thatcher's mates closed reser???????? Doh!

They have also tried unsuccessfully, on a number of now closed resers to get landfilling rights, another very lucrative money spinner, akin to drug dealing profits because there's no hole left in the whole of the northwest.

In attempting to do this, it never occurred to them that many of the resers were built in the headwaters of the many of rivers in the NW. All they saw was a printing money machine and big bonuses for the CEO, upper minions and shareholders.

So Ron whilst you were swanning about SA praising Thatcher, here mates were destroying trout fishing in the uplands and the NW reservoir infrastructure.
The moral of this of history lesson is, understand the facts before you start gobbing off!

Oh and BTW they also have big roach, perch and pike in them, so why should they be the preserve of the fly fishers only????

To slime yes there is a bus stop right outside the entrence. You can get a bus that will take you eastwards to Sheffield or westwards via Glossop to Manchester. :0)

There use to be a train stop as well, but they shut the line down in the late 70s, and put huge steel doors on the Woodhead Tunnel. Interestingly the tracks was still there in the 90s and shows signs of usage. The locals reconed they stored nukes or something in the tunnel, but it was always denied. And the trains they saw using it? It was claimed by Govt were ran up the line to make sure it was still serviceable just in case they ever wanted to reopen it.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Come on Phil I wasn't "gobbin off!"

The reason for my post was to put forward a couple of questions in order to get a response, which I got and which I thank you for.

And I certainly am not a fan of Margaret Thatcher. Where ever did you get that idea?

Swanning around SA? If the truth be known I helped keep a couple of factories here in the UK busy during the 70s recession!

Hopefully we will have a new start in government next year when according to Cameron the government will be the slaves of the people and not the masters.

Then we can get our hands on our rightful heritage of which there are many in these islands, not just potential fisheries.

klik2change

Reaction score
Hopefully we will have a new start in government next year when according to Cameron the government will be the slaves of the people and not the masters. Then we can get our hands on our rightful heritage of which there are many in these islands, not just potential fisheries

HOPEFULLY beingthe operative word...

Does anyone else want to bet on cameron and his toff cronies giving any support to fishing? Apart from trout/salmon/fly perhaps?

The very idea of TORIES being slaves of the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Do you think the no-fishing policies on these waters will change if we have a change of government? I doubt it somehow. It appears that big government seems to be either inept (left wing) or greedy (right wing) or both. We could use another party to address the issues, big and small, that ordinary people care about.

dezza

Reaction score
HOPEFULLY beingthe operative word...

Does anyone else want to bet on cameron and his toff cronies giving any support to fishing? Apart from trout/salmon/fly perhaps?

The very idea of TORIES being slaves of the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sort of attitude is what splits angling in two.

"Apart from trout/salmon/fly!!"

Where I live, some trout fisheries are actually somewhat cheaper than coarse fishing waters.

Fishing is fishing, whether you do it with a fly, a lure, a deadbait, a bag of boilies or a pint of maggots. I do all types of fishing and don't particularly discriminate.

And neither should any of us.

Last edited:

coelacanth

Reaction score

There are plenty similar waters in Lancashire, I can think of half-a-dozen within 25 minutes drive of here which would make great fisheries (for those who give them a go anyway, the indications are that very healthy fish stocks are present). That's only half of what there used to be but as Phil says, they were sold off for landfill, housing and quick profit during the wonderful years of privatisation.
One of the reasons that's been quoted to me during a site visit to a couple of them was Health and Safety, because of the angle of the embankments, access, etc. etc. If someone had an accident the site owners would left open to being sued for negligence in not making the world idiot-proof. Nowt to do with the "Nanny State", everything to do with the wilingness of the legal professions to act on behalf of the stupid to profit at our expense.
Those where fishing is allowed (like Anglezarke, Upper Rivington, the Roddlesworth group etc.) are amongst the best waters round here, in the finest of surroundings.
Perhaps a mass trespass is what's needed, it worked for walkers...

dezza

Reaction score
"Sold off for landfill, housing and quick profit!"

Resources like these reservoirs and the scenic landscape surrounding them are priceless. You cannot put a monetary value on them. They should all be compulsory purchased for £1 each and put under the guardianship of a special trust who will administer these places as National Parks, where recreation, including angling can take place.

If such waters were in the South of England, they would be utilised as fisheries make no mistake. There is nothing close to London like these places. The last thing they should be used for is the dumping of human *****!

Something for The Angling Trust to look at.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I beg to differ. What about the big reservoirs around Heathrow? Also prome waters but no fishing allowed.

richiekelly

Reaction score
there are also waters in the midlands where fishing is not allowed,two are within 5 miles of my home both contain carp well over 30lbs (ive seen them ) i am often tempted to make a " guest apperance "

The bad one

Reaction score
"Sold off for landfill, housing and quick profit!"

Resources like these reservoirs and the scenic landscape surrounding them are priceless. You cannot put a monetary value on them. They should all be compulsory purchased for £1 each and put under the guardianship of a special trust who will administer these places as National Parks, where recreation, including angling can take place.

If such waters were in the South of England, they would be utilised as fisheries make no mistake. There is nothing close to London like these places. The last thing they should be used for is the dumping of human *****!

Something for The Angling Trust to look at.

Oh dear Ron you're letting your fingers run away with yourself again! The resers fall just within the boundaries of the Peak District Nt Park. But if you checked......again! You'd have found this out and that the land in Nt parks is in private ownership.
The landscape, Heritage value, right of access for recreation purposes (not including angling) is protected under the designation of a Nt Park. There are very strict conditions placed on what landowner can build, use the land for, but the ownership of the land is theirs not the Nations.

Interestingly, much of the land in the Peak District Nt. Park is owned by United Utilities. Now that must really **** off the shareholders having all that dead money in land assets. What must be even more galling for them is they can't charge people for using it.
"Eat sh1t and die bar stewards!!!!!!"
But to some extent they have found a way around that, they charge visitors extortionate fees for parking.

dezza

Reaction score
I wonder who owns the Yellowstone National Park in the USA. I know who owns the Kruger National Park in SA and umpteen others in Oz.

Let me tell you - the nation concerned owns these great parks.

In Tasmania for example 40% of the land is World Heritage, but you can fish there on payment of only ca A$60.00 per annum and anywhere you want as long as it is in season, in designated trout waters with fly only.

So in reality we do not have any truly National Parks in the UK, not by international standards anyway.

The bad one

Reaction score
So in reality we do not have any truly National Parks in the UK, not by international standards anyway.

Correct amondo!

Another point of interest Ron, was that the Peak District NP was the first NP in the UK (1951). It took as it's model Yellowstone (1872) However, unlike Yellowstone, they fudged the issue of taking the land into National ownership. They also left out some areas, principally the areas where quarrying was taking place around Buxton and Chapel on le Frith, to exempt them from the planning controls of the Peak District Planning Control Board. This in the last 20 years has caused landscape viewing problems. Said quarrying cos quarrying right up to the boundary and taking half a hill away, leaving a stark shear quarry face that's visible for miles.

dezza

Reaction score
So what we need is a complete re-appraisel of our national parks, perhaps even an extension of them. I would certainly like to see at least 50% of Scotland, 40% of Wales and a further say 30% of England become nation owning national parks where that land is allowed to return fully to nature.

One very great experience one has to travel to Africa or Australia or the USA to live, is that of standing in awe, that's right complete awe of the wonder of nature. Take Tasmania for instance. There you can walk through primeval forests that have NEVER been spoiled by man. The trees and ferns are truly wonderful and enormous.

This is like England was 20,000 years ago, yet there was a local aboriginal population who lived in complete harmony with nature.

Would we ever be able to create such places in England?

A true wilderness experience is something any human being would truly die for.

I am lucky to say that I have lived those experiences; experiences the vast majority of people on this planet in this day and age will never know.

For example I have tried to find silence in the English countryside. That as you all will know is impossible.