Shrink tube

jcs

Reaction score
I know it most have been done before but who long would you put your rig in a cup of boiling water for the shrink tube to work right.
Or what would you say is the best way to do the job,as i have never used it before and thinking of giving it a go.
A few tips would be spot on.

Nigel (manu31999)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
The easiest and safest way that i know is to put your shrink tube where you want it, for example over the eye of the hook, then grip the hook bend with either a pair of forceps or a pair of pliers, then hold the other end of the hook length, and then steam the shrink tube over a kettle. Remember always that steam can and will burn you so concentrate and stay safe.

You will physically see it shrink, and will soon learn to judge when it has shrunk enough, and also doing it the way i described makes it also easier to shape the shrink tube as you are steaming it.

Here's a link with some pictures to help you -:

http://www.carpfinder.co.uk/carp-rigs/shrink-tubing/

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
good shrinktube reacts very quickly and you will know when it has shrunk down to its minimum size as it will stop shrinking it doesnt shrink indefinatly and the amount of shrink is governed by the quality of the tube

noknot

Reaction score
Hello Blanker,

No need for steam or boiling water, just set your rig as you want it, then heat with a hair dryer, simple and safe! Once the tube has shrunk, then keep the angle you want, then cool in cold water, job done;)

richiekelly

Reaction score
Hello Blanker,

No need for steam or boiling water, just set your rig as you want it, then heat with a hair dryer, simple and safe! Once the tube has shrunk, then keep the angle you want, then cool in cold water, job done;)

thanks for the info but i think it was manu31999 that wanted the info

jcs

Reaction score
Thank's lad's for replies sofar.
I think the hair dryer sound a go way to do it ,anyone else use this methord.

Nigel (manu31999)

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
No. I haven't got an extension lead long enough to stretch from my house to the bank so I'll stay wtb the kettle method :)

noknot

Reaction score
To all the mockers out there with no imagination what so ever, once the shrink tube is formed to the requierd angle and set, it can be taken off and on the bank re-fitted to a new rig, so in effect, you could have 20 perfectly formed rigs ready to go, and do you not pre tie rigs for a sesh, I do:p