Maggots dead or alive

richiekelly

Reaction score
when using maggots for good sized carp (20lbs + ) do you prefer them live on the hair and dead for freebies or live for the hair and freebies or dead for both
what are your experiences

Frothey

Reaction score
live and dead as feed, live on the hook.

the dead ones are just the live ones left over from the last trip - no point wasting them!

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
If you use live ones for freebies they will wriggle off within minutes. Dead ones taste the same as live ones but tend to stay where you put them.

preston96

Reaction score
they dont go far though jeff, maybe a bin lid sized patch tops - plus it gets the fish routing around for them.

Yep i go with that.....and the deads we freeze from left over sessions help to get em rootin about after the live ones that have tried to wriggle about.

So dead, lives, oh and plastics..........:wh

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
That *may* be true - but if the fish are sight-feeding I'll have a lot more confidence if they can see the bait.
Call me old fashioned but I don't believe carp will work to find food in all waters. For instance in a water where it's usually easy for them to find food, a rich natural water or one where a lot of bait goes in; these fish never have to work to get a feed so why should they expend all that energy digging out buried maggots when there is much easier fodder just a few meters away?

Frothey

Reaction score
do fish sight feed when looking for bloodworm? snails? there's more to attraction from maggots than just sight.....

the naturals/rich water argument is a difficult one - IF they were going by the easiest meal, then a bed of maggots wont be as attractive to them as a bed of bright boilies, but I know which one is more likely to work..... a bed of casters ;)

nchokie

Reaction score
The silver fish don't seem to like the dead maggots , however it doesn't bother the carp . So it's deads for me .

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The silver fish don't seem to like the dead maggots

Not my experience whatsoever, I have had just about everything on dead maggots both on the river and in the lakes, fish eat 'em just the same as live maggots. They don't need movement to attract the fish its like Dave says the fish can smell them or whatever it is they do to find food.

One great advantage with dead maggots is they will sit on top of weed so they become visible in weedy swims.

nchokie

Reaction score
I only really switch to maggots come winter , maybe this is why I don't suffer from the attention from the silvers ??

Foxy

Reaction score
Half dead, half alive, i think the live ones burrow into the mud and silt and the carp like to root them out. For a hookbait, live and rubber maggots or red foam / corkball critically balanced with a small stocking of live maggots

But thats just me.....

r1paul

Reaction score
For hookbait , dip hair/hook into a bottle of superglue and then dip into tub of maggots for a while , big ball of wriggles .:D

Bill Cox

Reaction score
yeah done the medusala Les works a treat in the right swim. I swear by frozen deads on one of our lakes that is very weedy i get better results fishing corn over the top of a pint or two of deads on top of the weed.:)

richiekelly

Reaction score
my lad and myself used dead and live maggots last week result for my lad
19:15 common and 30:01 common me i lived up to my name