Umbrella help please

Shine

Reaction score
I have looked in 5 tackle shops within 15 miles of me. Not one has the brolly I'm after. 2 didnt sell brollys, 2 had cheap **** ones and the one where I found the Korum umbrella..... all 3 were faulty.

So, without buying blind I shall ask on here for your help.

I am looking for the best there is....
A 50" standard umbrella, no sides, no add ons etc. (D rings would be a bonus)
As light as can be
Fully sealed-100% waterproof
One that's going to last

Cheers for any help

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like SV I use a Leeda in camou pattern and it's been great up to now. I've been using it for 12 1/2 yrs and it was only around £20 at the time so can't complain.

Shine

Reaction score
Now 43 quid.. http://www.fishingwarehouseshop.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/2605

Just read this review on FM about the Leeda one
http://www.fishingmagic.com/tackle/reviews/9932.html

I was going to say in my post, no Leeda please. Only my own thing. A few years back I had a Leeda brolly. Cost about £30. First time it rained water came in through the seals. I called Leeda....... (that's another story)...... anyway, couldnt believe how bad the customer service was so I said I'll never never buy there products again... same with Nash.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just make sure that whichever one you buy doesn't have fibreglass struts because they will collapse in a good wind believe me, Ive got one (a Liteseal) in my garage £50 for nowt.

Last time I used it was at Clattercote 3 years ago and after it collapsed three times completely engulfing me and knocking my bait into the lake I took it down and got wet instead.

Good bollies are heavy so once you accept that buy the strongest with alluminium struts you will at least have a brolly that stays open in a wind. Lightweight brollies are exactly as described mate so don't waste your money.

Steve King

Reaction score
Just make sure that whichever one you buy doesn't have fibreglass struts because they will collapse in a good wind believe me, Ive got one (a Liteseal) in my garage £50 for nowt.

Last time I used it was at Clattercote 3 years ago and after it collapsed three times completely engulfing me and knocking my bait into the lake I took it down and got wet instead.

Good bollies are heavy so once you accept that buy the strongest with alluminium struts you will at least have a brolly that stays open in a wind. Lightweight brollies are exactly as described mate so don't waste your money.

Quite agree mate!

I made the mistake of buying a Waterline Fiberlite brolly - it turns inside out in a moderate breeze!

klik2change

Reaction score
You havent mentioned them but it is really worthwhile buying the storm strut thingies. I dont remember what they are called. I think Gardner make them. You get a pair of small universal joints, which attach to the brolly struts. One side of the universal joint has the standard bolts. I use extending bank sticks. Push the lower part into the ground, then pull the extending bit up to the bolts, screw them on, then do up the thumbscrews.

The structure is then strong enough to land a plane on it!

Shine

Reaction score
Already have them Klik ;)

Thanks everyone for them help. I've made a few calls and most of the ones suggested and I've looked at have steel struts. I'm keeping clear of fibreglass.
Learnt the hard way a few years back.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Shine,

i have the wavelock brolly, 100% waterproof and tuff as old boots, cost around £60, not light but the best there is I think, had mine for years, even the scum bags who nicked my gear a few years ago didn't get it, my mate was using it.

I have treid others, but always gone back to this one.

Good luck with your search.

Give Johnson Ross a call on 01992 462044, ask for Antony or Lewis, there do a next day delivery. There have a wide ranch of brollys.

Shine

Reaction score
Cheers Ray. Just had a look at the website and seen this. I'll find out more tomorrow what the struts are made of....

Korum Umbrella

Korum Umbrella For anglers who prefer a traditional umbrella, here’s one! The large 50”/127cm diameter provides good protection and the centre pole can be re-positioned to maximise space under the brolly. DIMENSION: 50”/127cm umbrella with Nubrolli style centre pole 210D waterproof nylon cover with taped seams 2 pegging points Supplied with 2 pegs Protective sleeve Umbrella - £39.99

Shine

Reaction score
They have them in stock and they have metal ribs. I'll get my uncle to swing in by as he lives in wgc and hopefully is coming to see me next week.