Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 16-85 mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

The Monk

Reaction score
thinking of getting one, anyone used them?

I`ve also been looking at one of these

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

Last edited:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Nice to see you around again, Nick. I haven't seen this lens, but Ken Rockwell rated it quite highly. He makes the point though that you could get two budget lenses for the same price and have more focal range.
I do go along with his comment that 16mm isn't wide enough - I have used both the Nikon 12-24 and the Tokina version. The Nikon is superb in every respect but, for the money, the Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX is absolutely the mutt's. I'd still have it if I hadn't gone full-frame with a D700.
If it were my money, I'd get the Tokina 12-24, and then a Nikkor 18-200mm VR when you can afford it.

dezza

Reaction score
If I were The Monk, I would save his money and get the 18-200 mm VR lens which is an absolute belter. MacWallet has one of course.

But He of the Wallet has everything.

:cool:

I have the 18-70 f3.5 which is a very nice piece of glass. Complementing this I have the 55-200 Nikkor VR which is a bargain at about £120.00 and the Sigma 10-20 mm wide angle which is one of the best of it's type around.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
If I were The Monk, I would save his money and get the 18-200 mm VR lens which is an absolute belter. MacWallet has one of course.

No I don't, I sold it to Cakey over a year ago.

And if anyone is interested I'm selling my D700.

I'm no longer doing anywhere near the same amount of photography I used to and it's a sin for a camera such as the D700 to be lying fallow. My D70s and my Canon G11 will cope with all my current photographic needs.

If anyone is interested in buying it please PM me initially.

The Monk

Reaction score
Nice to see you around again, Nick. I haven't seen this lens, but Ken Rockwell rated it quite highly. He makes the point though that you could get two budget lenses for the same price and have more focal range.
I do go along with his comment that 16mm isn't wide enough - I have used both the Nikon 12-24 and the Tokina version. The Nikon is superb in every respect but, for the money, the Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX is absolutely the mutt's. I'd still have it if I hadn't gone full-frame with a D700.
If it were my money, I'd get the Tokina 12-24, and then a Nikkor 18-200mm VR when you can afford it.

cheers Mark, yes I have been looking at the 18-200 I think that might be my best option

---------- Post added at 14:35 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

No I don't, I sold it to Cakey over a year ago.

And if anyone is interested I'm selling my D700.

I'm no longer doing anywhere near the same amount of photography I used to and it's a sin for a camera such as the D700 to be lying fallow. My D70s and my Canon G11 will cope with all my current photographic needs.

If anyone is interested in buying it please PM me initially.

sorry to hear your getting rid of the D700 Graham, I might have had it off you last year, but I`ve changed my thinking now and have decided the D300 still suits my needs

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Bluidy overpaid civil servants!

[insert daft smiling thing > > > > HERE]

How are you Nick, keeping well?

yep still keeping well thanks Peter and you mate?

Cakey

Reaction score
Hello all
still got me chest infection
still using the 18-200mm that I had off Graham and I love it ,Ive also got a 50mm cheapy that Graham also put me on to so it does leave me a Sigma 17-70mm Nikon fit supplies also by Marsdens Photographic Supplies that I would sell for £140 if anyone is interested

The Monk

Reaction score
sorry to hear about your chest infection mate, get better soon Mr Cakey, not really into Sigmas, although some are comparable with Nikkor. I`ll buy your Nikon AF-S DX 18-200mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR II if you decide to get shut mate

Cakey

Reaction score
the Sigmas famous .....Im sure pictures taken with it are in one of Grahams books

captain carrott

Reaction score
sorry to hear your getting rid of the D700 Graham, I might have had it off you last year, but I`ve changed my thinking now and have decided the D300 still suits my needs

?

go on go on go on go on go on you know you want it, then you can sell your d300 to my other half at preferential rates :)

then all she would need is a bigma to fall off the back off a passing lorry and land in our front room :) :)

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
haha, I can`t afford it Mr Carrot, anyway I`m saving up for a second JEM at the moment a 77bfp,

http://www.jemsite.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=420&c=13http://static.keebali.com/jemsite.com/gallery/files/7/9/6/6/p1010277.jpg

and besides I`ve jusy bought another lens this morning.

So guys, help needed, I`ve Just picked up a Nikkor 18-200 DX VR II, a vast improvement on my other stuff, I`ve read through the instructions 200 times, but being a bit fik, I`m not sure how to use the VR, on the dials on the side of the lens it has the M/A and M (manual and auto override, I`ve got that bit I think, then the VR ON and OFFf, yes thats self explanitory, and last the NORMAL and ACTIVE, yes OK, but if I put the VR on ON and leave the NORMAL on, is the VR working or do I need to have both ACTIVE and VR on ON and what does NORMAL mean anyway, is this only to be use with VR in the OFF position? Basically when would I use VR, all the time apart from tripod shots or sparingly, remembering that I`ve had 50 years being the guitar and tend to shake at times.

Confused Monk

Manchester

Last edited:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Hi Monk

The Normal mode for VR is for using the camera hand-held when you, yourself, aren't on the move. The Active setting is for when you are, for example, shooting from a moving vehicle - i.e. you are also moving.
Ken Rockwell explains it pretty well in plain English HERE

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
great stuff Mark, much appreciated, thanks very much mate, thats exactly the information I was looking for mate

Last edited:

The Monk

Reaction score
OK, I taught him all he knows

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zXMR2yc8E"]YouTube- Paul Gilbert -Metal Dog...MP3 NOW AVAILABLE![/ame]

Last edited:

Cakey

Reaction score
I dare not tell the wife he is selling it ....even though Im not interested
he gets me in so much trouble :wh

The Monk

Reaction score
I must say its not a bad camera, its got to be worth a few hundred quid