Baa licence

maver man

Reaction score
Hi all i am thinking of fishing a stretch of the river Severn (Holt Fleet stretch).
Seeings as it is a day ticket water will i need a baa licence or will my Severn Trent rod licence and a day ticket for the water cover me?

Regards,
Adam.

maver man

Reaction score
Thanks Ben.
You havent happened to have fished this stretch recently have you?

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
no mate, i'm a north lincolnshire lad. dont get down that way very often, but theres a few lads on here fish the severn, i'm sure one of them will be along soon.

maver man

Reaction score
Oh right no worries mate.
Ahh brill hopefully they can give me a little insight on the right baits to use at the moment for the barbel :)

newbieneil

Reaction score
i fished holt fleet on friday mate. the pub stretch(i think its called the harbour or the anchor inn?)... 3 of us went ,fished it from about 8am till 1pm ,i had naff all on 2 rods,trottin a loafer float with maggot/bread/meat on and ledgering with another rod with 12mm halibut pellets to begin with ...then meat....then switched to maggot feeder ...not a bite...my mate had 2 tiny chub a few oz trotting maggot further downstream and my other mate had 2 tiny roach on the maggot feeder.at about 1 o`clock we gave in and went on the lake behind(on the same dayticket) fished it untill dark without a single bite for any of us on the waggler!!!...the river looked about normal level and was quite steady but i fished it up by arley 2 weeks ago and i blanked then-my mate had 1 chub all day and it was low up there....the bailiff said its usually over the bank at this time of year and we was 20ft down the bank!!! ...if i had my time over with this stretch again after the blank ...i reckon your best off putting a feeder rod out there and letting it fish itself for the barbel and then float fish it but get some propper bait goin in ...feeding every cast(which i admit -i didnt do!)...other than that-fish the avon instead as i think you`ll find the severn hasnt been fishing well at all for anyone really...good luck and tight lines!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Go to the lock section above the bridge on the left bank, you can drive up there, walk over the lock and fish below the weir. There are usually chub and barbel there and a better water than the pub water. Its day ticket.

maver man

Reaction score
I have to admit last time i fished the holt fleet stretch i also blanked and have only had a 11lb+ out the pool.

I was talking with my local tackle shop owner n he suggested boilies so i may fish that out (midd section) with a pva bag of pellets and a second rod under a bush in the margin left of the peg with meat on hair with lots of hemp thrown in

Regards,
Adam.

maver man

Reaction score
It up to date!
It is the one with the perch on the front about to devour a lob worm, its in a credit carp shape and there was a a big up roar about it in anglers mail about the film cover coming off it when you took it out the packing.

Dont worry i am not one of these people who fish without a licence!!!

Reaction score
Ah Fred what memories eh! Needing 3 licences at least to cover the North-West, Severn and Trent and the Anglian...you dreaded the the thought of straying one yard into unknown territory. Tsh..these young 'uns...national rod licences...they just don't appreciate how hard life was!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What you have there Adam is an Environment Agency licence then.

Too right, I got caught with an Essex Region licence in the Thames Region, Posh.
I wouldn't have minded I thought I was still in Essex, I was fishing Hatfield Forest lake at the time! I got let off

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
On the subject of licences I had mine checked for the first time in years on Friday. I was fishing the Dee at Llandidliaysomewherebloodyunpronounceable and a mile from the car in the middle of nowhere.A boat drfits past...

"Morning......can I see your rod licence please,boyo"

What are the odds,eh ? I pick the day the EA boys get the boat out looking for evidence of salmon poaching.

I dont know what surprised me more...having me licence checked or seeing the EA out on net patrol.Nice lads...and doing something useful.Even took care not to mess my spot up.