River Rother

hamish999

Reaction score
Can anyone please give me advise on fishing the Rother around Beighton,Killamarsh in S/Yorks.I have fished it about eight years ago near the wier at Beighton and in Rother Valley Country Park.I have heard that you now have to pay to fish it in the park?
Hope to give it a try on Monday after the rain

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
To fish the park lakes you need to pay (or go late on in summer when the wardens have gone;)) but to fish the river it's free as far as I know -

The Rother has been very low and clear - it can be a bit hit and miss - some places hold fish other seem to be empty of them.

I've had a few chub out this year but it also hold dace, roach, trout, some escaped carp

Good luck with the fishing

hamish999

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply,as i said it is about 8 years ago scince i last fished it. That was in Rother Valley near the foot bridge as you get to the jet ski lake.
Cought plenty of small fish with the odd big trout. I have heard of Barble to about 7 pounds from around the wier at beighton,As i donot live far away at Hackenthorpe i may try it in that area

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

PS I forgot to ask your Lordship how safe is it to leave a parked car in Killamarsh

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Leaving the car in Killamarsh should be ok - but the usual don't leave anything in it - try the car park NEXT to the Juniors club if you know it - in day light you should be ok - or park it on a main street

The weir near Beighton is ok to fish but some of the swims you need to be a mountain goat to get to - the climb down to the swim from the top of the bank is about 20ft in some palces and not to be undertaken if the banks as slippy - you may get down but getting back up will be tough

hamish999

Reaction score
Hi i did not get to fish it on Monday. I have decided to give it a try at the back side of Treeton Dyke as it runs from Woodhouse Mill to Catcliff.
The bankes on that bit are nice and level so you can fish easily.
Will let you know how i get on tomorow

hamish999

Reaction score
Iwas not sure what to expect so just took an avon rod to give me a choice of eather q/tip or float.Tried bread and lobworms to start with to no avail.
Changed over to the float and got about 10 foot of water.
Managed to catch 3 chub about 2lb each and half a dozen smaller fish
Only fished about 3 hours hoping to give it a second try on friday

hamish999

Reaction score
If you walk downstream about 200yds from where i fished you come to the last peg on the Catcliffe stretch.Just above Wilf Jays scrap yard.I have been told by the secretary of Treeton Dyke fishing club that from there to Woodhouse Mill is free fishing and there are no private fishing signs. I have only walked obout 300 yds upstream but you can get to the waters edge to fish almost anywhere.
PS Treeton Dyke fished its nuts of last summer to hemp and tares

hamish999

Reaction score
Managed a couple of hours on the Rother today first time for about 7 weeks.Just had 3 chub about 2 pounds apiece but it made a very welcome change to get onto the bank side againe

hamish999

Reaction score
Fished the members stretch at Catcliff but made the mistake of fishing in the shade.
That is why i only fished for a couple of hours