Sport England Satisfaction survey

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Some time ago I was invited to take part in a Sport England sport participant satisfaction survey - how/why I got the email invitation I don't know. Anyway, the results are in:
http://www.sportengland.org/research/sport_satisfaction/headline_results.aspx

And the results may show why AT membership take up has been so low: Anglers are the 3rd most satisfied of all 45 sports surveyed, coming after only Judo and Taekwando. We're happy with our sport (sport? some of the questions highlight that this really isn't a sport, it's more of a recreation).

Take a look at the headline results, then look at the detail. It's very interesting: in a nutshell, we go fishing to get away from it all (which may hardly be a revelation but now it's official!)

Reaction score
Hmm...I participated but how did you get to know about the results??

Anyway intial scan very interesting but I'll need to spend a lot more time on this...want to compare it with a couple of other sports. The low numbers of women and ethnic minorities figures for example may well reflect the numbers responding to the surveys as a whole than reflect on angling. Clearly some clear opportunities there...and worrying stats in terms of membership or organisations but again I want to compare with other sports

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Paul, I received an email from Sport England this afternoon advising me that the results were available.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway intial scan very interesting but I'll need to spend a lot more time on this

Me too, but I was a little amazed to see that 8% of those who took part didn't know if they were a member of a club or governing body . . . . ?

Also, the age statistics were interesting with the majority of anglers being in the brackets over 40 ish.