Help with braid

R

Rodney Wrestt

I have bought a spool of braid, what scissors should I get for cutting the braid as I've heard that some brands aren't that durable even though they are sold as Braid Blades. I've seen the state a pair of normal scisors make with fibers fraying and sticking out all over the place, so what would you recomend for a clean cut and long life blades?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ian,
Do you get a clean cut close enough to the hook or line joining knot using a knife blade?

C

Carp Angler

Culprit make the original and best braid blades.
Repackaged by Mr Fox for your convenience.
I haven't tried Nashys new ones, but they are probably on a par with the rest of his gear.......

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cheers Rik,
Can you get Culprit ones direct from somewhere or do they only supply them for repackaging by other companies like fox?

I've looked at the fox ones in the tackle shop, I think they are about ?6 or ?7 and quite small with rounded tips, I would imagine they would fit in the fox box. I've also looked at ones by Lureflash in the fly fishing section of the shop and they look totaly different with tiny blades and large round handles which would be to big for my tackle box.

You mentioned Nash's new ones what in your opinion of his recent products, I understand if you would rather not get into this but I've read some people not being happy with certain products in the range from the quality of materials used or the manufacturing of the final product (aledgedly). I know braid scissors aren't a major tackle buy but I want ones that will last.

C

Carp Angler

I've had my pair of Culprit ones for probably close on 15 years and although they are undoubtably not as keen as they were when new, they are still very usable.
I'd certainly buy the same again if I had to replace them.

I have a Nash Oval Plus and some of his stainless rig rings and that's probably where it will stop with purchases from him.

Ask Stormin' Norman about his Speedloader Stacksack.

C

Chris Bishop

I've got the Fox (Culprit) ones - had 'em a couple of years, not as good as they were but still do a reasonably neat job. I used to use those toenail clipper things from Boots but they don't last as long.

What's a speedloader snackstack..?

C

Carp Angler

I'm sorry Clive, but I don't think I've ever 'snacked' in my life.

As long as you're not questioning my sexuality by suggesting that I eat mini meals.......

If it aint a gutbuster, then it aint mine ;o)

C

Cakey

Rodney
I use a swiss army knife ( the one with the fish on )they are superb for braid.

CAKEY

PS I use the scissors not the blade.

F

Frank Curtis

I biught a pair of good quality toe nail clippers from Boots for about ?1 two years ago and they cut braid neatly and you can cut off close to the hook or knot. They also fit into any tackle box.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Thanks to everyone for their comments, I think I'll try the fox ones. I had been looking for Fiskar for kids scissors (couldn't remember the name for long enough) as I've been told they are perfect for the job but I can't find any, I've looked in The Early Learning Centre, W.H. Smiths, beterware catalogue, some art & craft stores but hey all seem to have the stores own brand ones.

Thanks again.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
It's the same one, I can't catch any more.

I tried cutting the braid with clippers, knife blades, different scissors around the house and a couple of pairs that looked like they would do the job from E.L.C and W.H. Smiths. I have spent more on alternatives which didn't work than I would have if I just bought a pair from the tackle shop when I first saw them. They all left frayed edges after me hacking my way through it.

When are you going to get rid of the Hulk Hogan colours?

C

Cakey

Rodney
when your juggling your fish on my screen ,my cursor goes nutty !

R

Rodney Wrestt

I'm sure it does, I have that effect but usually with the ladies....

C

Cakey

Rodney
dont know if you tried ,if you did please try again incredimail went up the wall.

Frank
how you going ,have you been out there lately??