Hook Colour ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We have used 'gold' coloured hooks for ages when using sweet corn as a bait, and dark red coloured hooks for bloodworm fishing, so . . . .

Why isn't there a White colour finished hook for Bread Flake fishing?

just a thought . . . . . ?

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
When Bread Flake fishing, don't you wrap the bread round the hook anyway ?

I wouldn't have thought that hook coulour would have mattered if fished this way.

Other than that Peter i have no idea.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I was never totally convinced about the need for coloured hooks though I was a fan of those blue hooks (Drennan?) for fishing hemp so maybe I contradict myself.

I still think the old style hooks in black-ish are as good as any of the shiny ones that we use today and its more to do with how long the hook retains its point than the colour that makes the real difference. The shape is also something that should be taken into consideration before colour.

dezza

Reaction score
Shouln't be a problem painting a hook white with cellulose paint or even a permanent marker.

I have caught a fair number of trout using hooks painted bright red and nothing else. Used to call it my "Ultra Skinny Buzzer"

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I tried tippexing a few hooks for punch fishing, but the result was a bit garish. One day I'll get the vice out and whip some with cream silk and see if that's any better.
Marshall-Hardy recommended white-shanked hooks for hemp, and green for silkweed (exactly what is silkweed?), but no-one else seemed to pick up that ball and run with it...

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
...Marshall-Hardy recommended white-shanked hooks for hemp, and green for silkweed (exactly what is silkweed?),.....

'Silkweed' - from The Angler's Encyclopedia by Colin Willock 1960:

"Greeny weed of cotton-wool like texture found on piles and particularly on weir sills. Undoubtedly eaten by fish of many species including chub, dace, roach and even barbel, especially in early summer. When fishing weir-pools, the angler will do well to try this bait. To get it on the hook simply drag the latter across the weir sill until enough adheres. Fish may take it for itself alone, or for the animalculae that are found in the weed."

Mustad make green 'cod hooks' and some in a bright red finish. They seem to knock and abrade worse than standard or black nickel hooks.

Instead of white I think bright nickel finished hooks would be better - certainly in terms of penetration etc.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Shouln't be a problem painting a hook white with cellulose paint or even a permanent marker.

I have caught a fair number of trout using hooks painted bright red and nothing else. Used to call it my "Ultra Skinny Buzzer"

Oliver Kite made his name with that trick. Would bet people he could catch a fish on a bare hook and fish a red one :)

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

I think white hooks for bread baits make a lot of sense - as do hook skins of all types. Metallic tasting baits cannot be a good idea!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
This topic crossed my mind today, whilst 'tipping' with bread.

On the rare occasion I reeled in biteless there was green or brown weed on my bread/hook, surely green and brown would be a good colour? Shiny hooks must be a definate no-no?

I'll take a bottle of tippex tomorrow, just to compare the results.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hmm...I would have thought the smell of tippex [on the hook or bait via your hands] would outweigh any advantage you might gain from a white hook.Got to make it thicker too and I've yet to see a white river bed.

I'm not convinced.I think bread disguises the hook more than adequately though I'd agree a shiny hook would not be my first choice...for big roach anyway.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Should you really be using Tippex or any other brand of correction fluid on the Hook ?

I know it would only be a small amount, but, what if every angler using bread started to use it.

Bottles of Tippex have 3 warning signs on the small bottle which are -:

4467_signs.jpg

4475_signs.jpg

dangerous_for_environment.gif

Philip

Reaction score
I called a few manufacturers a few years back suggesting colored hooks although for Carp fishing...weed green, sand brown etc etc ....I was told the manufacturing process was too difficult (..really ? ..just to paint it..) then about a year later one of them brought out a coloured hook...probably coincidental but I always wondered....

I don't think disguising your hook will do any harm. I fished a Clay pit in the past with some good Roach and Rudd that I used to float fish for,you would fire out loads of maggots and see these big Roach whizzing about and you would try and catch them on the drop but they seemed to be able to detect the hook bait from the loose feed. My first reaction was to go finer and that did help to an extent but it was obvious they could still see it plus with really fine tackle it was touch and go if you hooked one so there was always this balancing act going on.

Then one day for whatever reason I wondered if perhaps it was the hook they were seeing as that would be right there by the bait so I put on a bigger hook ...I think it was a 16 and completely buried it in a bit of bread..what a difference ! First Roach that whizzed up had it without hesitation and I think I had 6 or 7 that day when I usually would have been happy with 1.

---------- Post added at 06:01 ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 ----------

Should you really be using Tippex or any other brand of correction fluid on the Hook ?

I know it would only be a small amount, but, what if every angler using bread started to use it.

Bottles of Tippex have 3 warning signs on the small bottle which are -:

4467_signs.jpg

4475_signs.jpg

dangerous_for_environment.gif

Stealth..i think the hook stuck in them prob causes more distress than the correction fluid on it..but I guess its just as well to be aware...

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Philip,

You may well be right, but, i for one wouldn't take the risk just to catch a fish or to prove a point.

As you said, it was worth mentioning.

klik2change

Reaction score
Stealth..i think the hook stuck in them prob causes more distress than the correction fluid on it

Each to his own! I think SV is quite right! "Dangerous to the environment" usually means something very unpleasant which does not decay... I wonder how many parts per million it takes?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I think the eco hazard will be from the dodgy solvents, not the dry residue, otherwise guess what we'd all have to pick out of our paper-for-recycling...

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
Yes - originally trichloroethylene.

Tipp-Ex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tipp-Ex is a brand of correction fluid and other related products that is popular throughout Europe. It was also the name of the German company (Tipp-Ex GmbH & Co. KG) that produced the products in the Tipp-Ex line. Tipp-Ex is a trademark for correction products. It has become so popular that it has become an English genericised trademark: to tippex or tippex out means to erase, either generally or with correction fluid.

History
Tippex was first invented by Mick Clay, an inventer based in Barnsley, South Yorkshire. He later sold his invention to a German company and retired to Texas, to raise Bison on a ranch purchased with the proceeds.
;) ;) :eek: :cool:

The name "Tipp-Ex" given both to the company and the product was based on the use of this product — "Tipp" is the German word for "type", and "ex" is Latin for "no more".

Misuse
In 1988 the Ayrshire Education Authority (AEA) banned the use of Tipp-ex in all its schools, by staff and students alike. The reason given was the possibility of the solvent (1,1,1-trichloroethane) being inhaled by children as a form of substance abuse.