What target will you be setting yourself for winter fishing?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'll be mostly fishing the river Rother around Beighton and a couple of small commercial fisheries this winter

I'll be looking to catch a few pike (nothing big) and chub from the Rother this winter and will fish the commercials with 2 rods - one for carp and another for anything that swims

What will you be targeting now th colder weather comes?

Also planning a trip to Dam flask to see if I can get a big pike out

r1paul

Reaction score
I`m fishing for pike m`lord , very slow at the moment , i`m hopeing for a better season than last year which was quite dismal .:(

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What will you be targeting now th colder weather comes?

Pretty much the same as the last few winters; Roach, Chub and Grayling from my local rivers.

I will take a visit or two to a local 'commercial' where there are some terrific Roach that are all but left alone by the Carp lads.

I might even attempt a large winter Carp which is something I've not done for a number of years, but the mainstay of my winter fishing is for Roach, Chub and Grayling.

Reaction score
Grayling from the Dane, may try to winkle out some chub from Mersey -Elwin tipped me the wink about a couple of swims. And I'm going to try to get some decent river roach - which may involve transport towards the Ribble area!!

Meanwhile Spiders and I will continue the hunt for some 2lb+ canal perch.....although at the moment we more likely to get a budgie's perch!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I am going to do some more Canal fishing, well up until they freeze solid.

I am also going to try and fish some more local matches, although at this time of year there aren't so many competitiors on my local venues, so i might just beat someone if i try hard enough.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I'll be fishing River Dane for chub & barbel. Have given up on River Severn as don't get up in time to go...:eek:. Actually find the banks too slippy & dangerous for me (only Hobbit sized...:j). Want to beat my chub pb of 5lb 2oz.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
I intend to attempt to up my pike pb, from the ancholme in brigg, where most of my piking takes place. has big uns, but they are few and far between.

i also intend to try and catch my first cod, now they are showing in the humber.

oh, and i wouldn't mind upping my perch pb, and have a couple of local pools earmarked for that, if i get time. unfortunately, i never get much of that anymore. small kids, who'd have them!!!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Grayling from the Dane, may try to winkle out some chub from Mersey -Elwin tipped me the wink about a couple of swims. And I'm going to try to get some decent river roach - which may involve transport towards the Ribble area!!

Meanwhile Spiders and I will continue the hunt for some 2lb+ canal perch.....although at the moment we more likely to get a budgie's perch!

Paul, dont you think you would be better targeting the 3lb perch along with me?, that way we might get some 2s on the way:D

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I'll be fishing River Dane for chub & barbel. Have given up on River Severn as don't get up in time to go.... Actually find the banks too slippy & dangerous for me (only Hobbit sized...). Want to beat my chub pb of 5lb 2oz.

A dog-spike and some sturdy rope can be very useful on bits of the Severn and the Teme.

I'll be fishing for pike on the Derwent and maybe trying a few days here and there learning to trot a float better.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I hope to up my cornish pike pb

I

Ian Cloke

Hoping to fish the Rother a few times, for Chub & Roach, the recently opened stretch, where they did the opencasting, has some good swims.

Reaction score
I'm aiming high this winter and going for the predator holy trinity from the mighty Severn:- 25lb pike, 15lb plus zander and 3lb plus perch.

The pike might prove difficult, but I already know where to look for the perch and zander... :)