Centre pin species records are there any?

tortoise100

Reaction score
I know there are individual species records and rod caught records as well as DNA records but what about centrepin records ?

I ask this because it is such a different fight and challenge to fixed spool fishing .

My own personal CP best is only a 3lb carp but it was more challenging and scary than my PB 10lb carp I caught the same day.

I have been reading about pike fishing with braid and I know others use them for barbel and carp ,my own aim is to get a good barbel on mine.

So what is your best ?
What line did you bring it in on ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
England 1972 - Looe - Blue Shark - 100.5 lb - Approx 50 lb b/s. **

England 1974 - Rye - Sussex - Cod - 18.5 lb - 30 lb b/s.

Belgium 1999 - Lake - Carp - 22lb - 17lb - 14lb - 4lb b/s

England 2009 - Marsh Farm - Crucian Carp - 3lb - 4lb b/s 3 lb Hooklength

** The shark was caught on a c/pin with a star drag.

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
'Centre pin species records are there any?'

I know there are individual species records and rod caught records as well as DNA records but what about centrepin records ?

Some of the current British Rod Caught Records were taken on centre pin reels; including salmon, as fixed-spool reels hadn't even been devised then.

DSC00126.jpg

Still the current British record and I must say: looking quite resplendent on the wall of Forum HQ.

There are no prizes for recognizing any of our 'Admin' team. ;)

DSC00133.jpg

The still current English, Wye and British record 'Springer' was also taken on a centrepin by Miss Doreen Davey, a distant relative, at Winforton March 1923 spinning a 2" aluminium Devon minnow with a Rollo 'pin.

rolo1.jpg

Extract from our sister Forum: Wye to date - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forums

Yes, here it is. I presume that Mr. Jellis is holding the gaff.

RecordWyeSalmon.jpg

What beautiful spring fish this was, unlike all the kypey or stale 50lbers from Scotland.

Absolutely ;)

WyeRecord.jpg

RiverWyeWinforton.jpg

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Fixed spool reels easily predate these records; Illingworth's first patent was 1905 and side-casters were patented in the 1880s. The early Illingworth's were devised for low water trout fishing and would have been far from ideal for killing big salmon.

mikeshaw1979

Reaction score
Okay - but one of the first practical fixed spool reels for pike and salmon was the Hardy Altex No.3, produced 1935-1963.

M001465.jpg

The Mitchell 300 then swept all before it: 1949 to recent times.

index.php

tortoise100

Reaction score
England 1972 - Looe - Blue Shark - 100.5 lb - Approx 50 lb b/s. **

England 1974 - Rye - Sussex - Cod - 18.5 lb - 30 lb b/s.

Belgium 1999 - Lake - Carp - 22lb - 17lb - 14lb - 4lb b/s

England 2009 - Marsh Farm - Crucian Carp - 3lb - 4lb b/s 3 lb Hooklength

** The shark was caught on a c/pin with a star drag.

Wow that 22lb carp on 4lb line must have been a pant stainer how long did it take to bring in?

How long was the fight with the blue shark ?

That samon is massive I take it they just don't get that big any more or have people come close ?

I wander what line she was using and how she caught it she looks like a hard core lady in the photo.

Last edited:

tortoise100

Reaction score
Must of been the pickled egg !
Always wandered why some chip shops sell them never tried one myself but at least i know when the occasion to do so is now.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Wow that 22lb carp on 4lb line must have been a pant stainer how long did it take to bring in?

How long was the fight with the blue shark ?

That samon is massive I take it they just don't get that big any more or have people come close ?

I wander what line she was using and how she caught it she looks like a hard core lady in the photo.

I caught those carp on a visit to Belgium in an any method trout fishery. The fishing was exceptionally boring, catching stock rainbows one after another, when I spotted some carp cruising about near the surface. I caught them free-lining chunks of my father in laws sandwiches. They didn't take long to land about 10 mins max I would say. Fitting them in a trout landing net was something else though. There wasn't a snag in the place so I would have had to have been pretty ham fisted to have lost them, I wasn't fishing with 4lb b/s out of choice but it was the heaviest line I had with me. You can land good fish on a pin and if your tackle is balanced and the water is snag free land them quite quickly.

Blue shark don't fight particularly hard for their size and cod fight like the marine equivalent of the freshwater bream. If Blue shark fought like Smooth-hounds then you would really have a fight on your hands.

thagamest1

Reaction score
Spanish Pete

I am an avid centre pinner and once caught a bus with one :)

tortoise100

Reaction score
But was it a double decker like mine?
must of had thirteen passengers took me thirteen hours to reel it in with 1 1/2 pound line even got a round of aplause from the passengers who had had a day off work and no toilet breaks .

thagamest1

Reaction score
Spanish Pete

oh c`mon. If mine had been that small I wouldn`t have even bothered mentioning it. My lot got off three times and had a nights sleep but it still wouldn`t come in and then, guess what ........ the b***** net was too small and it got away ! Peter Barton ( another from Worksop ! )