Wychwood Extremis Barbel Rod

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Hi folks

Broke the tip of my Wychwood rod last night and need to get a replacement section. It is discontinued by Wychwood and they have no spares in stock. Anyone have one or know where I can get one?

Many thanks

Chris Fox

The bad one

Reaction score
Chris how much of the tip did you lose?
It's may not be beyond repair if it's only an inch or so!
Ok it going to be a bit shorter and a bit more powerful but it's doable.

I did it with my Shimano Nexave Barbel Power (1.75TC), which I couldn't get a replacement top for. The break was at the spigot end but I've repaired my own rods and rods for other people where a few inches have been lost off the tip.

The Barbel Power is now an 11ft 3in 2lb ish power house great for flooded conditions.

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Have taken about 3ins (just above the next eye) off. Will probably fix the section and use the rod for piking... have been checking fleabay as well. It might work out OK... but I'd rather have a replacement tip - then I'd have a twin tip rod!

The bad one

Reaction score
You could splice in a heavy quiver tip 4-6 oz range, which would bring it back to about the same test with a Q tip.

Don't know whether you know how to do it or not but here's how!
Buy a push in Q tip of a good rod make.
Strip off the rings so its a blank
Roughly measure the Q tip against the rod top (outside diameter) and cut the rod top with fine hacksaw blade on a block of wood, at the same thickness as the Q tip is 3 inches from thick end.
Mark the 3 inches mark on the Q tip with a pencil all the way round.
Slide the Q tip down the top section so it pocks out of the hole of the rod top. At this point it will not be at the pencil mark. It will give you a measure of how short it is from the pencil mark.
Push it back up and out of the top section and cut 1/2 inch off the top section. Repeat the process as above.
Do this by repeating the process until you get the pencil mark just showing.
When your happy that the Q tip is fitting correctly take some epoxy resin on a fine piece of dowel, I use cocktail sticks. and insert the resin in the top section where the tip will come out. Roll it it around inside a few time to distribute it as evenly as you can.
Insert the Q tip down the top until it pops out and pull gently until the pencil mark shows. Twist the tip around a few time to distribute the resin on to both parts.
Leave overnight to set after cleaning off the excess resin with thinners or similar.
Re whip the rings on the Q tip and a whipping of about 3/4 to an inch over the spigot section of the rod top section. Re-vanish all the whippings several times and the Q tip section.

Job done!!!!!!!!

Last edited: