Cleaning Flasks - How?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Autumn and an old man's fancy turns to the next cup of tea... not nice if your flask smells of mould.
Any tips for cleaning thermos flasks, both glass and steel?
Cheers...

captain carrott

Reaction score
soak with hto water and bicarb. then soak with hotwater and put some lemon juice in it

captain carrott

Reaction score
if you put bleach in it you would be drinking bleach flavoured drinks for the next few millenia.

if you were going to put bleach in it you may as well rinse your cup out with tcp too

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Vinegar (diluted) - thats the answer, just as it is the answer to furred up kettles. Vinegar is the jack of all cures, the list of uses is staggering and they all seem to work, there are so many uses for it that some people write books about it.

captain carrott

Reaction score
Vinegar (diluted) - thats the answer, just as it is the answer to furred up kettles. Vinegar is the jack of all cures, the list of uses is staggering and they all seem to work, there are so many uses for it that some people write books about it.

this usage is highly ammusing as hot foam sprays out of the spout.
because it's only effective if you hold the button down to keep it boiling

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I shall have to ask the wife.

She said that the Magic Flask Fairy cleans my Flask ........................ I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but, she did swear at me several times while saying it.

The bad one

Reaction score
Here's my tips.... never put owt that will go mouldy in your flask......milk, soup, etc. I only ever put hot water or sugared water, nothing else! I only drink tea as beverage at anytime. And I take teabags and a small stainless steel milk bottle. Hip flasks make great milk bottles.
After fishing, as you pack up, tip all contents of the flask out, dry the cup and the neck of the flask off, where the cup sits. This will if not done, create mould and taint the cup and neck. A general wash in hot soapy water doesn't remove the taint.
With Plastic bodied flasks it impregnates the plastic and is virtually imposable to remove the taint.
It's no coincidence that the food industry that deal in fresh product... milk, Milk products, meat, natural soft drinks, don't use plastic receptors on site, it Stainless steel!

If the above isn't done, fill the flask with hot saltwater, about an 1 oz of salt, leave overnight to stand, rinse in the morning with hot water and any taint has gone.

On returning home wash out both flask and milk bottle with hot water, and you never have the problem of mould or tainting.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've said this before but its worth repeating:

1 Only ever fill the flask with HOT water-NEVER milk!

2 Take milk in a seperate container-a small plastic job that can be dishwashed after every use( or well washed by hand!)

3 Take tea bags in a plastic sealable wallet(or coffee/chocolate in plastic container as above)

4 Small teaspoon

RESULT=pretty FRESH tea(or whatever)that takes a minute to make even if it sounds fiddley THAT IS AS HOT AS IT CAN BE because the milk was not added to the flask at home.

ps Because I do the above 'by hand' I always take hand wash and use before handling anything-and I'm still living!!!

Yes,it is just possible to rid the flask of musty smells with chemicals etc BUT the above method has given me the best possible cuppa on the bank from a flask for 55 years and the flask only need a quick rinse under the tap ready for the next outing!!

Perhaps,if I still did very long sessions the Kelly is a must but for quick sessions the above takes some beating................................

Wash hands with hand wash before handling anything!!

Last edited: