River Wye 3 day festival

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The annual Wye festival is running, Wed, Thurs, Fri, where points are accumalated each day and the one with the most points after 3 days is declared the winner. It covers the whole of the Belmont water which includes the tennis court section and both banks above the road bridge.

I went for a looksee on Wednesday and though the river was about 4 feet on it looked absolutely spot on but though most anglers were catching many were struggling to get the fish shoaled up. I watched Dave Harrel for a while and he had 2 or 3 pike in his swim that chased every fish he caught, even jumping after them when he swung them in, a match anglers nightmare because you can't get the fish lined up. He persevered though like the good angler he is and finished with 28lb and the top weights were around the early 30's so he did well considering. Dave is in front on points after 2 days having weighed in 54lb I think Woody said yesterday, what an angler, I would like to know how Hadrian Whittle is getting on too but Woody was a bit busy so I couldn't keep talking long.

I couldn't go yesterday and speaking to Woody this morning he reckons its 5ft up today but should fish well but they are in for 3 inches of rain today which will really do some damage to an already 5ft high river and will probably put a stop to Sundays match. Its looking a bit black over Bill's mothers when I look out of my window but I might just take a stroll along the river, I love watching good anglers fish almost as much as fishing myself, nearly almost anyway.