Some water at last

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I was in Bournemouth today......University Open Day for me daughter. Weather was evil but of course I happened to go via Christchurch and have a look at the Avon.Bloody Hell ! In the fields,up & coloured 12-14 degrees.How I wish I'd packed the barbel gear.

With no more rain & if the temps hold up I reckon the Southern rivers are going to fish their heads off in a day or two. The sea was unbelievable but there were people windsurfing in Poole harbour.That's dedication...or madness for you.

I feel a day off coming on about Tuesday !

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Just looked at the forecast and there is loads more on the way!

Friday should be good, as it's fining down for the roach :)

Rickrod

Reaction score
Weve had plenty down here over the last few days with more to come infact its thundering as i type this

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Just looked out and its lashing it down again

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm not convinced we've had a huge amount of rain but at least enough to flush some of the muck out. The high water at Christchurch was a combination of some floodwater, a high Spring tide and a channel storm surge exacerbated by a southerly gale and low pressure.

The surfers/wind surfers get out all year round; I've seen them surfing at Christmas when the conditions are right.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced we've had a huge amount of rain but at least enough to flush some of the muck out. The high water at Christchurch was a combination of some floodwater, a high Spring tide and a channel storm surge exacerbated by a southerly gale and low pressure.

The surfers/wind surfers get out all year round; I've seen them surfing at Christmas when the conditions are right.

North of Salisbury we have had very little rain to be honest; the Hampshire Avon opposite to my house is up by about 4 inches, so it is still over 24 inches down on 'normal' levels for this time of the year.

A

alan whittington

The Thames is over a foot up from last week with a lot of flow,that is without yesterdays rain on top,to answer Skippy,the river was full of leaves and i like him think its terrible attempting to fish through them and it seems the fish keep their mouths well and truly shut when these conditions occur.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Peter,
The upper Avon is a true chalkstream so until the springs break the level will struggle to rise. Below Salisbury you'll find more water because different types of stream like the Nadder (clay vale) and the New Forest streams like Hucklebrook and Redbrook come in. The Stour gets its floodwater from the clay vale streams like the main Stour, and the Lydden whereas it'll be a while until the Winterborne, Tarrant and Allen rise substantially.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

Yes I know, it is just after all these reports of 'constant' rain in my area that I've been reading about I expected to see a marked improvelment in the water level.

As you know I am in Paris during the week so I have to rely on weather reports for local home information.

As for the fishing, well, my rods are staying put in the tackle room for another week methinks.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The Wye was 5ft up on Friday and bank high yesterday so another possible 5ft but it looks very bright today, if they have no more rain in Wales it should be spot on by Tuesday or Wednesday. Amazingly when I was there Wednesday it was about 3ft to 4ft up and even then there wasn't a great deal of colour in it but easily fishable with a stick or waggler, and that is what most of them were doing.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Someone had the rain! The Stour came up another three feet today so it's 6 foot up at last and flushing all the cr*p out.

What I should have mentioned to Peter earlier, and he's going to curse me now, is that these true chalk streams that only colour up a tinge and drop within 6-10 hours e.g. the Avon above Salisbury fish incredibly well in these conditions when the main rivers are a washout. Having remembered this during today and with a dry afternoon I pinched an hour on one such river and finally tempted the big dace that are usually disdainful in normal clear conditions plus some other bonus fish. Whilst I want to get back on the Stour this week when it drops I might need to remember the little streams...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What I should have mentioned to Peter earlier, and he's going to curse me now, is that these true chalk streams that only colour up a tinge and drop within 6-10 hours e.g. the Avon above Salisbury fish incredibly well in these conditions when the main rivers are a washout.

Just my awful luck - again!

Barrell, titties, thumb and sucking - all come to mind!)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Thames is over a foot up from last week with a lot of flow,that is without yesterdays rain on top,to answer Skippy,the river was full of leaves and i like him think its terrible attempting to fish through them and it seems the fish keep their mouths well and truly shut when these conditions occur.

Not sure I'm going to bother now until these damn leaves are done. I was on the Welsh Dee after grayling 2 weekends ago...we caught some but the sub surface leaves were a nightmare.Damn long way to go to get leafed off.

---------- Post added at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:57 ----------

Well good luck to them and their next of kin. If they were out on Saturday then God alone knows what it would take to keep them onshore.Stone bonkers...why not just jump off a high building ?

Cakey

Reaction score
the Lea has gone from a sleeping pussy to a raging bull overnight

---------- Post added at 07:39 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

oh and by the way its still pi55ing down

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Heavy rain is forecast for us in the south west and Wales for the next three days so the Severn, Wye, Avon and Teme will be over the banks for sure if not today then certainly tomorrow. The Severn or the Wye with 12ft plus of water on is a sight to behold and anyone who attempts to fish in those conditions would be better employed signing themselves in at the nearest loony house.