What cheese

richiekelly

Reaction score
i have gone back to fishing small rivers for chub this winter, im an old fashioned sort where chub are concerned and have been using cheesepaste made up with red leicster (thats what the gaffer has in the fridge ) i have had some success but was wondering what others have found to be good for cheesepaste

Reaction score
I mix ready-made pastry (think it's short-crust will have to check with the Mrs) with any strong blue cheese (stilton, roquefort) and strong cheddar.

Works a treat :)

Just checked... It's the 'Jus Roll' stuff in the blue packet, freezer section of any supermarket matey!

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
The biggest chub haul i ever had was from the Teme about 35 years ago, we were going eeling and on the way i stopped to get some cheese to do a bit of chubbin.

All the shop had was crackerbarrel.........expensive i know but i ended up cutting it into tiny pieces to make it last, the chub were queing up for it!!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
If i am making a cheese paste for my chubbing then i use a strong smelling blue type cheese.
I always keep an eye out for any bargains going cheap while shopping at asda,that i can use for bait etc...... my other half works at our local asda and also keeps an eye out as well.I have a couple of blocks of parmasan nestling at the back of the fridge at the moment,picked up dirt cheap.....ideal for a cheese paste .
If you are using a milder kind of cheese,you could try pepping it up a wee bit with some garlic flavouring,or even a teaspoon of mustard powder.
I`m sure i`ve read a piece by Tony Miles where he suggests using mustard powder???
Paul....my dad used to use crackerbarrell all the time for his chubbing sessions,he swore by the stuff and caught many a fine chub on it !!!

Reaction score
The biggest chub haul i ever had was from the Teme about 35 years ago

I'm trying again for a Teme 6lb chub this season, biggest last year was in February 5lb 14oz.

Cheese paste rocks!

And it's not just a winter bait, chub latch on to it in summer very quickly.

Dropped 15 boilie-sized pieces onto a rock in 2 foot of water in June and it took just 30 mins for a shoal of 4-5 big chub to take the lot!

preston96

Reaction score
I'm trying again for a Teme 6lb chub this season, biggest last year was in February 5lb 14oz.

Cheese paste rocks!

And it's not just a winter bait, chub latch on to it in summer very quickly.

Dropped 15 boilie-sized pieces onto a rock in 2 foot of water in June and it took just 30 mins for a shoal of 4-5 big chub to take the lot!

Oh for a 6lb Teme chub!! oh for a 5lb 14oz Teme chub..........thats one hell of a chub to beat from the Teme mate..........but they are getting far bigger on all the Midland rivers.

I wonder if the "ronnies" are more widespread than we think?

Reaction score
Oh for a 6lb Teme chub!! oh for a 5lb 14oz Teme chub..........thats one hell of a chub to beat from the Teme mate..........but they are getting far bigger on all the Midland rivers.

I wonder if the "ronnies" are more widespread than we think?

I've seem some bigger than that Paul, and in the summer too, as for da krays, so far I've had no bother. But I refuse to pay protection and reserve the right to fish where I fancy...:)

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
50% blue cheese and 50% mature cheddar, perfic - and with bread and butter :p

My Dad always used cracker barrel in his latter years but of course it was a lot cheaper then than it is these days, personally I think the greener it is the smellier it is, in fact I have some - er! maturing! in my bag in the garage as I type, it gives off a nice perfume in there :p

preston96

Reaction score
I've seem some bigger than that Paul, and in the summer too, as for da krays, so far I've had no bother. But I refuse to pay protection and reserve the right to fish where I fancy...:)

I find chub the most difficult of fish to judge the weight of ****y, especially in the water.......my son had a nice five off the Lugg this year.....i thought it was a scraper 4 at first sight.

Matthew White

Reaction score
Whenever I have used the pastry method of making cheesepaste I always end up with a paste which i feel is too 'sloppy' and it is hard to get it to stay on the hook. Or is this how it isa meant to be??

I also tried a batch made with breadcrumbs instead of the pastry and this seemed ok but as soon as it has been in the river for more than 5 minutes it goes as hard as a rock!!

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I'd have thought if you can get hold of the tubs of grated parmesan or Safeways (now Morrisons) own brand 'Italian strong cheese' these would be winners, they're powdered already, already I says! and reek to high heaven.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Blanker,
Stick with the Red Leicester as it is very good but needs to be mixed with another softer cheese. I usually mix it with Dolcellatte. This is my most succesful mix and I have caught a lot of big chub using this. Cheddar and Stilton mixed together is another very successful recipe which has caught a lot of big chub over the years.
Personally I have always preferred this type of mix to the pastry mix. Also I do not like using bread in my mixes, although I really rate bread as a bait in it's own right.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Cheddar/stilton paste has worked well for me in the past. As too has Edam, which is very rubbery and can be 'cubed' and fished in a hair.

chris_fox

Reaction score
Wow. I normally do the following:

Cheapo strong cheddar for fishing.

Nice Roquefort, Stilton and unpasturised brie mixed with a nice crusty loaf topped off with a lovely Sancere (I find red's flavour disappears in the cold) for me.

I could mix in the nice cheese ............ but I wouldn't be very happy. So I'll catch less and eat better.:rolleyes:

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
If you're using pastry in your paste mix this Winter, remember to add more margarine to the mixture, than you would normally in Summer, to ensure your paste doesn't harden in cold water.

chris_fox

Reaction score
As an aside did anyone see Tightlines on Sky this week. Dean Macey had a loverly 7lb chub from the Lee ............ my pb is 5lb!