Death of Benny Ashurst

R

Ron Clay

I've just heard about the death of Benny Ashurst at the age of 88.

He was a great character. I fished with him in Ireland near Carrick on Shannon in 1960 when I was a little over 18 years. He spent time advising me about float fishing and shotting.

Later that evening we all got thoroughly stoned in the County Hotel where Benny played the spoons.

Although I never became a matchman, I have great respect for the skills of anglers of Benny's ilk.

RIP

G

Gerry Castles

I remember reading Benny Ashurst articles when I was a kid fishing the Lea and the line between pleasure and match fishing was not so heavily drawn. I too learned a lot about the art of float fiahing.

F

Fred Bonney

I certainly remember his articles from my youth,so some of what he said must have sunk in.

P

Paul Williams

I've only ever heard good of him....that tells a story.

G

Gary Knowles

Benny lived just 5 mins from my house and I was fortunate enough to meet him on a few occasions.

When you fished a local match and saw him at the draw, people used to not bother setting up. There was no point, if Benny was fishing the cut, all that was left was second place.

The other memory of Benny is all the kids queing up at his maggot farm in leigh for 20p of maggots to go fishing. His wife used to go into the giant freezer at first light (we would knock them up at 4.00am) to get all the bait for us in her slippers and nightgown and she would come out with flies buzzing all around her,,,,reason, he was always fishing !

S

Sean Meeghan

Its sad but most of us are getting to the age when our childhood heroes are passing away one by one. As a boy I used to see Benny regularly on the banks of Carr Mill dam. He was always willing to spend time teaching youngsters like me the finer points of float fishing or swing tipping. Some of the lessons learnt then stand me in good stead today.

Tight lines Benny

D

Dave O'L

Just when I was getting my gear ready on Sat I found an old stick float I've had for years with Benny's name on it (It was with another with Max Winter's name). I did think what are they doing now - unfortunately I now know about Benny!

I

Ian Whittaker

Good honest advice was freely given .He was one of the old school.