I have purchased Stotz sizes 8 to13. I wish to set up pole floats size
4x1
4x18
1.5g
4x14
0.5g
4x12
This is printed on the float body.
These stotz are only tiny. Do I put loads on in a bulk or do I use shot as well.
Should I use olivettes and if so I have the following questions.
Olivettes are pear shaped. Is the narrow part to the top or bottom. If hypothetically I have a 1g float do I use a 1g olivette or what.
I appreciate that there are many questions here but I am a newbie to the po,e and need the advice. Thanks

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
It depends on how you are fishing what stots you use as droppers i.e. on the drop you want them spread out but fishing on the bottom you only need 2 or 3 droppers the rest is your olivette. On the drop you may be better just using shot plus stotz so you can move them about as conditions dictate, the object is to have the bait falling slowly through the water. I suggest you use those olivettes that the line goes thru the centre secured by a piece of thin cane pushed up from the base which is fat bit down though they don't always have a fat and thin bit. I would only use olivettes with floats of 1gm or more personally but thats my choice because it gives me flexibilty to move them around.

Use shot from size 6 up and stotz from size 8 down and I wouldn't use the very small ones either, maybe a 12 as a telltale and then a couple of 10's - 8's - 6 et al.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Olivettes are pear shaped. Is the narrow part to the top or bottom. If hypothetically I have a 1g float do I use a 1g olivette or what.

The narrow part goes towards the pole tip, the bulbous part towards the hooklength.

If using a 1g float, then an olivette of slightly less than the full 1g and the necessary 'dust' shot to properly balance the float.

Use the olivette rig when fishing the full depth, or over depth, but for fishing on- the-drop then it is better to use spread out shot, stotz, or (as I prefer) good old fashioned Styls.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Don't you find styls are a bit tangle prone Peter? I found that out pretty soon after starting pole fishing in the early 90's, the more I used the more I tangled especially when it was windy. We used to call them "the swearing man's shot" hahaha!

I forgot to say that if you are fishing water with a good tow on it then step up the float size and use an Olivette to stabilize the bait.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

Yes, when you start out they can be bothersome but really only in strong winds. I've never really had too much of a problem with them, and I do prefer the longer Styl that spreads out the stress on say a high-tec line.

I also think they sink a lot slower than ordinary shot giving a better presentation.

That said, I do know a lot of people who never could get on with them.

coenstork

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but whats a Style? Wy use these instead of shot.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Styls are a bit like stotz except they cover a wider range of weights, they were the weights that were introduced when pole fishing became popular, being considered as a more delicate approach.

I agree with you Peter about the on the drop bit because they may (or may not) flutter because of their shape but I don't get on with them at all I'm afraid.

coenstork

Reaction score
OK I've got that but are there different types of Olivettes. Do they all thread onto the line like a bead would. What have pegs and silicon got to do with these. this is mentioned on e-bay so I don't know which to get.

A

alan whittington

Xblackrat,the 4-12,4-14 and 4-18 are the capacities in 'styles',i prefer 'stotz' but without doubt 'styles' are better for 'on the drop' fishing when presentation can be critical.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
OK I've got that but are there different types of Olivettes. Do they all thread onto the line like a bead would. What have pegs and silicon got to do with these. this is mentioned on e-bay so I don't know which to get.
Hi Black rat, olivettes can be fixed both ways you mention,either like a bead ie straight through,, or fixed with silicone tubing usually supplied with the olivettes.

coenstork

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Can anyone answer the other questions about Olivetes please ?

A

alan whittington

Blackrat,the olivette should be fat end to the hook,there are basically two sorts of olivette one with a hole through the centre(like a barrel lead),small dust shot are normally used for positioning,the other is solid with two pegs(for want of a better description) one at each end for silicon rubbers to go on(my preference),again for positioning purposes.The olivette should be the vast majority of the floats loading and although i havnt got one there is a device for testing float capacities,im sure someone watching will know the name.I hope this is of help,you may be able to put a search on FM or maybe on google.

Last edited:

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Do Olivettes have any advantages over regular shot, if they are just being used to make up the main bulk for cocking the float??

I'm using Stotz for the rest of my cast.

A

alan whittington

I use shot quite a lot,which is ok on possibly .75gm or less but when heavier floats are used it tidies the rig up and makes it less prone to tangles(plus its only one weight to move when slight alterations are made with the 'bulk').

Last edited:

slime monster

Reaction score
Kryston extra heavy tungston putty makes good olivettes ,I use it on rigs that are presented close to lilies or snags ,Spiders showed me how to "paint it on "by dragging it down the line ..very useful for delicate on the drop rigs.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I use shot quite a lot,which is ok on possibly .75gm or less but when heavier floats are used it tidies the rig up and makes it less prone to tangles(plus its only one weight to move when slight alterations are made with the 'bulk'.

I see. I had been using a piece of pole float rubber to pinch my shot on, which allows me to move it up and down it one go but I think the Olivette sounds a little simpler.

Cheers.