Trotting reel

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The most versatile reel for trotting, capable of varied techniques including waggler fishing, and coping with lines up to 6lbs, is a Shimano Stradic 2500 or Daiwa equivalent. Sensible money and robust. The proportions are perfect.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a reel specifically for trotting wondering does anyone have recomendations?

I would reccommend the okuma sheffield centrepin. There not OTT price wise and are excellent for trotting in rivers. There also great to use for still water fishing where you don't have to cast over 20 ish yards.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The most versatile reel for trotting, capable of varied techniques including waggler fishing, and coping with lines up to 6lbs, is a Shimano Stradic 2500 or Daiwa equivalent. Sensible money and robust. The proportions are perfect.

I would totally agree with Mark on this one, for an all round Trotting reel the Stradic is very hard to beat.

I own Purist centrepins, Abu 501's and 506's and a host of other centrepins, all excellent in some applications, but for all around performance over a wide range of trotting situations then it has to the be Stradic 2500.

Roddy

Reaction score
I can't believe we're talking about trotting and fixed spool reels in the same sentence. Surely centrepin has got to be the way to go. The Okuma Sheffield - and any of its stablemates - is a fair choice, although it lacks any drag adjustability in its freedom to spin - that can result in over-runs in inexperienced hands. Arial-style reels often have the adjustable drag facility.

Of course, it's all about personal choice but for me, the direct contact with the fish and the natural ability of the centrepin design to feed line off in a controlled manner at precisely the right rate make it an easy one.

chris_fox

Reaction score
Yes the answer is a centrepin .............. simply a joy to use. It's a knack or an art if you are a romantic.

I have two the Okuma Sheffield and a Youngs PuristII. One without and with a line guard.

I wouldn't trot with anything else. In fact for chubbing I use the Youngs Travel Trotter rod which has stand off rings specificly desiged for centepins and keeping the line from sticking to the rod.

Lastly ............ it all looks rather wonderful.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The question is really about how versatile a reel is required: all of the following are trotting methods. Some can be accomplished well with a centrepin, others are either impossible or severely limited if you persist with one.

Fishing with an Avon float
Fishing with a stick float
Fishing with a waggler float
Fishing with a Trent Trotter
Fishing at range (over 25 yards out)
Fishing very deep water
Fishing very fast water
Fishing slow water
Fishing very shallow water
Running a float down at current speed
Slowing a float down
Using an over-shotted float
Fishing from under trees - "parrot cages"

Various combinations of the above.

All of the above constitute trotting as we know it on rivers as varied as small streams, slow rivers, fast rivers, wide fast rivers and wide deep slow rivers.

If you fish one type of water at modest range with good pace, always with top and bottom floats then a centrepin may be an excellent and enjoyable choice but you still cannot do anything with it that a well designed fixed spool is equally capable of achieving simply because the reel used is only part of the equation that contributes to the control achieved - other factors include the skill of the angler, choice of float and shotting pattern. The style of fishing is different too, which is why attempting to compare the two methods by trying to fish the same way is pointless.

The other big minus with a centrepin is that it is far more expensive to have many spare spools.

I do some trotting several times a week, on varied waters, thoroughly enjoy it, and invariably use a fixed spool reel, even though I have several excellent trotting centrepins.

preston96

Reaction score
Yes the answer is a centrepin .............. simply a joy to use. It's a knack or an art if you are a romantic.

I have two the Okuma Sheffield and a Youngs PuristII. One without and with a line guard.

I wouldn't trot with anything else. In fact for chubbing I use the Youngs Travel Trotter rod which has stand off rings specificly desiged for centepins and keeping the line from sticking to the rod.

Lastly ............ it all looks rather wonderful.

Its a bl**dy thing of the past!

Like using a Davy lamp for night fishing! :D

quickcedo

Reaction score
I would say that 90% of my fishing is done with a pin. this is because I choose to, I enjoy the skill involved, I enjoy playing fish on them, as I believe I have more control. Fishing is not about using this or that because it's the latest fashion, it's about enjoyment! As for the best reel for trotting, ask 20 people get 20 different answers. The fact is the best reel for the job doesn't exist, because different situations call for different tools. Otherwise surely I would go roach fishing with a 3lb test carp rod, I would land the fish, but would derive no pleasure in doing so. So for me it would be a centre pin, or maybe a.......

preston96

Reaction score
I would say that 90% of my fishing is done with a pin. this is because I choose to, I enjoy the skill involved, I enjoy playing fish on them, as I believe I have more control. Fishing is not about using this or that because it's the latest fashion, it's about enjoyment! As for the best reel for trotting, ask 20 people get 20 different answers. The fact is the best reel for the job doesn't exist, because different situations call for different tools. Otherwise surely I would go roach fishing with a 3lb test carp rod, I would land the fish, but would derive no pleasure in doing so. So for me it would be a centre pin, or maybe a.......

I'm sorry Mark, but the pin wouldn't be any good to me, use wise in about 50% of my fishing, it would be the best choice in about another 25%, that leaves 25%..........then i would have to decide what real edge a pin would give me and whether it is just because i fancy a bit of nostalgia or if the pin really does give me the edge.

Over all the "modern" fixed spool reel, it can hardly be called "latest fashion", i'm 54 and they weren't new in my teens.........surely has the edge?

That said, there are times i do enjoy using the pin.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The question is really about how versatile a reel is required: all of the following are trotting methods. Some can be accomplished well with a centrepin, others are either impossible or severely limited if you persist with one.

Fishing with an Avon float
Fishing with a stick float
Fishing with a waggler float
Fishing with a Trent Trotter
Fishing at range (over 25 yards out)
Fishing very deep water
Fishing very fast water
Fishing slow water
Fishing very shallow water
Running a float down at current speed
Slowing a float down
Using an over-shotted float
Fishing from under trees - "parrot cages"

Various combinations of the above.

All of the above constitute trotting as we know it on rivers as varied as small streams, slow rivers, fast rivers, wide fast rivers and wide deep slow rivers.

If you fish one type of water at modest range with good pace, always with top and bottom floats then a centrepin may be an excellent and enjoyable choice but you still cannot do anything with it that a well designed fixed spool is equally capable of achieving simply because the reel used is only part of the equation that contributes to the control achieved - other factors include the skill of the angler, choice of float and shotting pattern. The style of fishing is different too, which is why attempting to compare the two methods by trying to fish the same way is pointless.

The other big minus with a centrepin is that it is far more expensive to have many spare spools.

I do some trotting several times a week, on varied waters, thoroughly enjoy it, and invariably use a fixed spool reel, even though I have several excellent trotting centrepins.

Sorry Mark but your totally wrong m8. I can cover all those situations with my centrepin.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
If you have any doubts about your commitment to life with a pin then either go for a closed face (brilliant for trotting a stick or waggler), or a small fixed spool. Both will do the job well.

Having just come back from two days trotting for grayling on the Test and Wylye in breezy conditions I can tell you that the pin was, at times, hard work. But, it is my tool of choice and when trout of 3 and 4lbs take off, playing with the pin gives you total and infinite control. I doubt that I would have landed some of them if I had to rely on a clutch.

That's why I use the pin, I love playing fish with them.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm sorry Tigger but you are 100% wrong - I'd like to see you fish a 'Topper' at Saltford/Newton St Lo on the Bristol Avon from under the trees, casting 35 yards set 14ft deep - no chance of a Wallis cast. That goes for most of the rest of the methods. You might cover some of the situations but as Paul says it would be very hard work and why struggle when it can be hard enough to beat the conditions or situation as it is without handicapping your self.

the guy asked for recommendations for trotting; mine is a well designed modern fixed spool based on 40 years trotting.

Is centre-pin fishing some kind of religion? Because it's just another reel, albeit with limitations, to me.

POLO

Reaction score
Now then all! There are some fantastic arguments for which style of reel is best for trotting, having never used a pin I can't comment on the control, skill, casting methods, drag, etc.... What I can't understand is Why a pin is best for trotting, is it the back wind that allows you to trott the same pace as the river without holding the handle or do you have to pull line off like a fly reel and let it go? I have trotted on numerous occasions with fixed spool but find that the face of the reel can sometimes be a little to far away from the butt of the rod and cause umcomfort and writer cramp in my hane when holding back with fingers. What I need is a reel with a short leg from reel to rod that I can strike without the fear creating a birds nest. If I but a closed face does this solve the Problem?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry Tigger but you are 100% wrong - I'd like to see you fish a 'Topper' at Saltford/Newton St Lo on the Bristol Avon from under the trees, casting 35 yards set 14ft deep - no chance of a Wallis cast. .

You never mentioned a 35 yard cast and fishing 14ft before. Wallis casting from under trees, in a cramped peg amongst bushes is no problem. Obviously you don't know you wallis casts Mark. You can wallis cast to a good range (personally up to 20 yards but I know a chap who can cast further)with the rod pointing straigh out infront of you. Infact I use that cast most of the time even in open unobstructed swims it's my preferd style.

Polo, using a centrepin gives you much more direct contact with your float than an egg beater. You don't have to pull line from the spool with a decent pin as the weight of the float alone as it travels in the the flow of the river will be enough to turn the spool of the reel releasing line. I'm pretty useless at explaining things so you be much better tagging on with someone proficient at using a pin and watching them while they use it. There's no doubt that the centrepin is the superiour tool for trotting (obviously there will be times when a fixed spool would be the better option). In a lot of situations fishing a still water a centrepin is great to use and there's no fixed spool clutch ever been made as sensitive as your thumb !

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Paul, I think you are missing the point I was trying to make. Obviously fixed spool reels have been around a long time, but, i was trying to suggest that many people discard older tech. off hand, just because there is something the sales reps. tell us is newer or better. The fact remains that pins have a place in the rivermans tackle bag. To trot a float succesfully in ALL situations both a center pin and a fixed spool reel would be reqd. As for the casting aspect of this thread, I have developed my own style with the pin which reqs no more room than I can fit into with the rod, and can hit 25yds with ease. Something I hasten to add I very rarely have to do. The last thing I wanted to do was antagonise an arguement, just to prove it's horses for courses.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have a foot in both camps. There is not much doubt that a fixed spool is more versatile, but the centre pin is in the right circumstances more fun and it's fun that most of us go for.

Centre Pins are also in my opinion, better for playing larger fish. A reel of either kind weighs less that a pound so in addition to the reel on your rod I usually carry one of the other kind. I also like the simplicity of the closed face reel, their main downfall is that the drag system is usually atrocious and I usually lock them up and backwind, I would feel less confident controlling larger fish on a close face reel that either a fixed spool or a pin although I have landed accidentally hooked carp into upper double figures, for me they don't inspire confidence.

George387

Reaction score
I have to agree primarily with what Ray has said on this subject, I use both but my chosen reel for river fishing is 99.9999% is a centrepin but on occassions I have to resort to my Mitchell 440a but with the rivers up here in the north I dont have to cast more than 25yds which I can achieve with my pin so cant comment on that side.