The Times - Barrie's Obituary

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Professor Barrie Rickards: palaeontologist and angler | Times Online Obituary

You think you know someone only to realise you don't know them at all.

I thought I knew Barrie fairly well but over the last week I have realised just how much more there was to this man.
The Times obituary will give you all an insight into his extremely full and varied life.

Just a reminder that Barrie's funeral is tomorrow [Monday 23rd] at 2pm.
See sticky threads for full details.

Colin

keora

Reaction score
It was a good obituary, I'm glad I saw it. I imagine it was written by the Times' angling correspondent, Brian Clarke.

preston96

Reaction score
What a man.......a window cleaners son , what an example of all that is good about Britains education.

Trials for Wolves too!! my team.

dezza

Reaction score
Yes Brummie, an example of the education that was available at ordinary Grammar schools in South Yorkshire at the time.

Barrie was one of those who took educational opportunities with both hands and made the most of them. And he never lost his Yorkshire accent!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I wish I could have been at the funeral today. I was asked to deliver the eulogy too by Barrie's partner Mandy, but family illness prevents me from attending.

My thoughts are with all the family and friends who are there though. Barrie was a fine man and a good friend.

dezza

Reaction score
And similarly, my thoughts are with Barrie's family and all his friends. I would have loved to have been there but travelling those distances are a bit beyond my pocket at the moment.