Ivan Marks

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Seeing Ivan's name in Ron's latest thread jogged my memory of one of the few occasions I was lucky enough to meet him.

It was at a game fair near Mansfield and I was helping out my mate with the AW gaily painted bus exhibition unit. Ivan was on the next stand and during the show a young lad in a wheelchair was struggling to get to Ivan's stand. I went and had a word with the lad and found out he was a fan of Ivan's, so I put the lad on the AW area and went looking for Ivan. When I found him I explained the situation to him and he immediately excused himself from the crowds and went across to the AW stand and spent probably an hour chatting to this youngster.

After that Ivan was a hero in my eyes as well as that young lad's.

dezza

Reaction score
Although I got to meet a few great match anglers in my life, and fished with a few including Benny Ashurst and Billy Lane, I never got the chance of meeting Ivan Marks.

I did, however, read a lot of his columns in Angling Times, including the "send off" of Ivan by a guy called "Ivor Sparks".

richiekelly

Reaction score
Seeing Ivan's name in Ron's latest thread jogged my memory of one of the few occasions I was lucky enough to meet him.

It was at a game fair near Mansfield and I was helping out my mate with the AW gaily painted bus exhibition unit. Ivan was on the next stand and during the show a young lad in a wheelchair was struggling to get to Ivan's stand. I went and had a word with the lad and found out he was a fan of Ivan's, so I put the lad on the AW area and went looking for Ivan. When I found him I explained the situation to him and he immediately excused himself from the crowds and went across to the AW stand and spent probably an hour chatting to this youngster.

After that Ivan was a hero in my eyes as well as that young lad's.

a long time friend of mine fished with ivan marks for a number of years and cannot speak highly enough of him, he has told me that he learned more from him during the time he fished with him than at any other time during his angling life both river and stillwater fishing,i once watched him at coombe abbey launching balls of grounbait a long way with such accuracy it amazed me.

Reaction score
Years back...when talk of a Match Angler's union was being mooted.(c 1973)...as a young 16/17 year old I went up to a national meeting in Leicester amongst a coach load of the South East's finest. One of the group introduced me to Ivan Marks. He insisted I sat in his company..so I spent the entire evening sat with the Leicester Likely Lads ...not sure I learned a lot about Angling but I have never forgotten the kindness and consideration of that man.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
When i used to fish club matches with Rothwell and Desborough AC,Ivan was invited along to our presentation night to hand out the trophies etc....
I won the trophy that season for the biggest chub in a match and was pleased as punch when Ivan presented it to me and shook my hand and congratulated me.
I stood chatting to him at the bar for a while as well and one piece advice he gave me has allways stuck in my mind.....no matter what species you fish for or what methods you employ,just go out there and enjoy yourself !!!