Dangerous places you've fished

Shine

Reaction score
I'm not on about the bronx.....

When I was 11-16 I lived with my mum just outside Aberdeen in a place called Newtonhill. We used to do anything to go sea fishing off the rocks. We used to go for saith and cod.
Climbing up and down the cliffs back then didn't bother me at all. Looking back at it now makes me shudder. It was so wet, slippery and just plain dangerous.

This is one side of the bay at Newtonhill. We used to fish mostly on the side this picture has been taken, but it gives you a rough idea.
1454766_93c42b83.jpg

Anywhere you used (or still do) go fishing that was dangerous?

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I have fished in a few dangerous places in my life.

Probably the most dangerous was a stretch of rocks overlooking the Indian Ocean in what was called the Transkei near a place called Coffee Bay.

To get down to the rocks was a story of danger all of its own. The area was infested with puff adders and Cape cobras and the rocks where you stood to fish where provided with chain harnesses and straps where you tastened yourself to shore.

On one particuar spot you were 40 or fifty feet above the water. When a big wave came in, you were suddenly swamped!!!

Yet if you could take it, the fishing was excellent. Needless to say the last time I tried this I was in my early 30s and fit as a butcher's dog!

Another dangerous place was a spot right on the border of the Kruger National Park. It wasn't the lions and other fauna which populated the area that worried me. What was utterley terrifying were the soldier ants, reddish brown *******s about 1/2 an inch long and swarming in their hundreds of thousands!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Cattercote, there are some right sharks there.

Yes, and sadly, they were mostly on your team . . . LOL

Shine, having worked and lived in Aberdeen for a couple of years, I want to know; how did you know when to go out and get that picture on one of the only 5 days a year when the sun shines in Aberdeen?

I used to fish the mouths of a couple of rivers up there for Sea Trout at night, wading in some pretty 'scary' water - wouldn't do that now though.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I was spinning on the Barron River estuary in Queensland once when the tide was out. The hairs on my neck started to rise and I realised that the log I was looking at only 30ft away was a 12ft saltwater crocodile. I gently moved away, went home and changed my underwear.

Gudgeon fishing in Rapheals Park in Romford was probably the most dangerous though :wh

dezza

Reaction score
Talking of Australia, whilst I was there earlier this year, a couple of anglers were drowned as huge waves washed them off the rocks bordering the famous Bondi Beach near Sydney. Every year you get some silly assole killing himself along that bit of coast, and they all seem to be Poms.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Talking of Australia, whilst I was there earlier this year, a couple of anglers were drowned as huge waves washed them off the rocks bordering the famous Bondi Beach near Sydney. Every year you get some silly assole killing himself along that bit of coast, and they all seem to be Poms.

It keeps the gene pools clear of idiots Ron

It the same when we have storms on the coast - there's always some photo of someone walking along the beach and then the lifeboats ahve to rescue those fools who get swept out to sea

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ron, Jeff's Prawn boat got seriously damaged by one of those waves just the other week.
Jeff is good though..a bit bruised and sore..especially his legs which took the shock!!
Wave 1 Trawler nil | Fishing - Fishwrecked.com - Fishing WA. Fishing Photos & Videos

I have to say I don't like the high banks of places like the Severn and the Teme, had enough of a problem with a slighter drop on the Trent, following a rain shower whilst fishing!!

Dangerous when wet

Raphael Park, now that was the place, many an hour spent there after the roach.

Last edited:

Shine

Reaction score
Shine, having worked and lived in Aberdeen for a couple of years, I want to know; how did you know when to go out and get that picture on one of the only 5 days a year when the sun shines in Aberdeen?

Gooooooogle :)

I did get a nice picture of that bay once in the sunshine. I remember it well because it was the only weekeend in 30 years DFS didnt have a sale on....

I was spinning on the Barron River estuary in Queensland once when the tide was out. The hairs on my neck started to rise and I realised that the log I was looking at only 30ft away was a 12ft saltwater crocodile. I gently moved away, went home and changed my underwear.

WOW :eek:

dezza

Reaction score
Ron, Jeff's Prawn boat got seriously damaged by one of those waves just the other week.
Jeff is good though..a bit bruised and sore..especially his legs which took the shock!!
Wave 1 Trawler nil | Fishing - Fishwrecked.com - Fishing WA. Fishing Photos & Videos

I have to say I don't like the high banks of places like the Severn and the Teme, had enough of a problem with a slighter drop on the Trent, following a rain shower whilst fishing!!

Dangerous when wet

Please give Jeff and family my very best for Christmas Fred.

He is a real Australian.

Shine

Reaction score
Probably the most dangerous was a stretch of rocks overlooking the Indian Ocean in what was called the Transkei near a place called Coffee Bay.

I couldn't find any videos with people fishing there Ron. Found the surfers though. Is this the place?........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHB-iawjnE"]YouTube- Surfing the Transkei - South Africa[/ame]

The bad one

Reaction score
You ain't fished anywhere Dangerous until you've fished Alix Park boating lake in Moss Side Manchester :D

dezza

Reaction score
I couldn't find any videos with people fishing there Ron. Found the surfers though. Is this the place?........

YouTube- Surfing the Transkei - South Africa

That could be anywhere along the SA coast. The Transkei coast is about 200 miles long.

---------- Post added at 08:42 ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 ----------

That looks like somewhere along the Victoria coast.

Just imagine hooking a 40 pound yellow tailed kingfish from those rocks.

:)

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
Leeds city centre river aire too many druggies. It is very good roach fishing but you dont see your float when you're looking over your shoulder every 2 minutes :(