Classic Angling

dezza

Reaction score
I have decided to take out a sub on the above magazine. It's a British publication that comes out every 2 months and covers old tackle and angling in the past.

Sounds interesting.

Anyone read it?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at it some time ago and decided that it contained too much "overseas" angling for my 'passion' so I passed on it.

For the best all around angling writing and subject matter I far prefer Waterlog Magazine.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Classic Angling is the baby of Keith Elliott who, up until recently, wrote a weekly column for the Independant on Sunday. It's pretty much a labour of love written for the collector of fishing tackle and associated relics.

Keith's a massive collector himself and has a library as good as any you'll ever see. He's chairman of the Angling Writers Association, too.

Lovely bloke; well written magazine with some really nice, if occasionally obscure articles, with a world-wide appeal. The last one I read had an article (with pix) of Fidel Castro going marlin fishing. Lots of history within the covers.

It's glossy, superbly reproduced and would grace any coffee table. Regarded by advertisers as ABC1.

Re: CA vs W'log - buy both Ron. You've plenty of time to read them and they are refreshingly old fashioned without a hint of the malice you find on certain forums. The two mags have as much in common as chalk and cheese with one appealing to man's soul where the other appeal to his material desires.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
The problem I found with Waterlog, and I used to get it every two months, was that it's a bit "daft", as we say in Yorkshire. I even wrote an article for it some time ago. So I must be daft.

After reading a copy of "Classic Angling", I've decided it's not as "daft" as Waterlog and I'll give it a year.

Coupled with that I am in the process of making myself a split cane rod!!!!!

Wait while PJ hears of this.

:p

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
OK, let's guess!
I can only think of two situations where cane definitely scores over modern materials: Freelining light baits and fly-fishing small streams. In both cases, it's cane's ability to wind itself up against its own mass that scores.

My guess is a seven-foot, three-weight fly rod... any others?... quick, before Ron ends our suspense!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Coupled with that I am in the process of making myself a split cane rod!!!!! Wait while PJ hears of this.

I guess that must be because you have run out of tomatos canes for the new season then Ron, bearing in mind all the disparaging comments you have made in the past about my collection?

That said, if he is really serious, then I'll go along with Alan's suggestion: a 7 foot 3# fly rod.

George387

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Graham, a few good points and a few negatives over it, I like other have said before enjoy waterlog, Im currently doing a re-read of all my old angling books which is enjoyable again currently on Days & Nights of Game Fishing by WB Currie, 2nd time around.
Ive just finished refurbishing an 11ft 6" cane float rod so I will break with the others and suggest its a float rod.

dezza

Reaction score
I guess that must be because you have run out of tomatos canes for the new season then Ron, bearing in mind all the disparaging comments you have made in the past about my collection?

That said, if he is really serious, then I'll go along with Alan's suggestion: a 7 foot 3# fly rod.

Of course they are not disparaging comments. They were just there to wind you up mate.

You are a little out on the rod. It's 8 feet long and designed to chuck a #4/5 line. It will be ideal for the upper Don above Sheffield, and my little reservoir next spring and I shall also take it to New Zealand.

I have ordered the blank and bits from Norman Agutters, who I am told make the finest split cane in England. It's even superior to Barder's stuff. And the blank only cost me £80 plus the bits to knock it up. This includes a top class nickel siver reel seat, nickel silver ferrules, flor grade cork shives, best quality snake rings and SiC stripper ring, a keeper ring and a rod bag.

All for a tiny fraction of a Barder load of overpriced ****!

And I'll make a better job of building it.

dezza

Reaction score
Ja well,

£1800 for a 7 foot fly rod - not nickel silver reel fittings either!

And you have to wait 18 months for it.

And you have to pay the whole amount up front before they will contemplate making a rod. I'll bet it's the same as having a Savile Row suit made in the old days. You had to be recommended by one of the nobility! Can't have riff raff walking about in the products of Savile Row, can we what?

Mind you if David Beckham can get a suit made in Savile Row, it's come to a pretty pass hasn't it.

But to wait 18 months for the rod, after putting cash up front for it? The blokes laughing all the way to the bank.

It's a better business to be in than the oil industry.

R

rob duran

I have a mate who had one of those Agguters blanks to make up. Complete Junk Ron, as you would expect for £80.

You get what you pay for thats why Barder has such a long waiting list.