Extended Fishing Rights Announced by Ringwood and District AA

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Mixed feelings about this! I learnt to fish and indeed caught my first ever fish on the Lower Stour fishery. It's where I learnt most of what I now take for granted and spent God knows how many hours, days, months and years walking, boating and swimming its varied course. All as a direct result of my Uncles, their mates and Christchurch Angling Club.

CAC has held the rights to this fishery on a long lease for what seems like for ever and was/is classed as the clubs home fishery. The West Hants Water Co via Southern Fisheries have now overseen the lease passing to RDAA in what appears to be a very similar way to that of The Royalty. Local angling politics are not very pretty!

RDAA is a superb club with an excellent committee and some outstanding waters which benefit its members and day ticket anglers alike. But I cant help feeling more than a pang of regret and perhaps a touch resentment at the change. But thats history and things always change. Maybe its because I joined CAC when I was still in short trousers and used to bunk off school to go fishing! The fact that I later joined RDAA as well doesn't help!

Slightly confused with the wording:

"Down to Tuckton Bridge this is an exclusive to RDAA, water. The currently available areas running down through Iford and Tuckton Bridges and the whole of Christchurch Harbour where fishing is permitted, will be available to RDAA permit holders and allows fishing for coarse, game and sea fish."

"Down to Tuckton Bridge" does not include The Harbour. Do they mean below Tuckton Bridge is RDAA and Day/Guest Ticket as well? The Harbour can be superb fishing for just about everything and of course is the home of one of the best mullet fisheries in the country!

I'll find out the answer.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel pretty much the same as Neil, quite sad for the CAC.

Does this mean that Clay Pool is now on the RDAA ticket? I hope not.

I allowed my CAC membership to lapse some years ago because I felt they had let us down when they joined King's Lake with Vincent's Lake.

At the time we were told that all Carp would be removed from the 'new' lake which would be a 100% 'silver fish' venue.
Well, a year after the work was finished I broke 2 top 3's on Carp, and went back to prove the point with a Carp Pole!

That said, I was going to re-join this January after having had a really good day with Dave Slater on a CAC Avon venue.

Might have to rethink that strategy now, or just join both (?)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I feel pretty much the same as Neil, quite sad for the CAC.

Does this mean that Clay Pool is now on the RDAA ticket? I hope not.

I allowed my CAC membership to lapse some years ago because I felt they had let us down when they joined King's Lake with Vincent's Lake.

At the time we were told that all Carp would be removed from the 'new' lake which would be a 100% 'silver fish' venue.
Well, a year after the work was finished I broke 2 top 3's on Carp, and went back to prove the point with a Carp Pole!

That said, I was going to re-join this January after having had a really good day with Dave Slater on a CAC Avon venue.

Might have to rethink that strategy now, or just join both (?)

It looks as though RDAA will now have all of the lower Avon (currently Waterloo and Bridge Pools, as part of The Royalty ticket allowance, down to Upper Clay Pool) and soon the Lower Stour and Harbour including Clay Pool - but see my question above!

CAC still have some superb Stour and Avon fisheries and if you add in RDAA fisheries on those two rivers, you'll need several lifetimes to even scratch their surface! Let alone the stillwater venues.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Crikey...I really must read from the beginning. I was thinking "What the hell are Reading & District doing ?"

Not my waters but I do sympathise with the sentiments expressed.I've experience of similar and it did not turn out well.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I never like it when waters change hands. I guess I just like things as they are but things always change. Many waters in our area have gone from one club to the other over the years and some have gone from club to syndicate and syndicate to club, including syndicates I was on.
A few years ago, before the economic climate started to change, most of my fishing circle, myself included, were members of the three main local clubs - Christchurch, Ringwood and Wimborne.
In the last few years many of us have dropped one of the books to save money. In my case I dropped the Wimborne book after they lost my favourite stretch of water a few years ago. Alas there is no fishing allowed there any more. The changes on the lower river from Christchurch club to Ringwood club do not, therefore, affact me as I am a member of both.
Unfortunately for them I know quite a few people who dropped their Ringwood membership and stayed in Christchurch and Wimborne. They decided to stay in two clubs instead of three for financial reasons the same as I did. As they will now have to join Ringwood if they wish to fish the lower Stour I do hope Wimborne club do not suffer as a result of the changes.
Also I have heard rumours that Ringwood club are closing their books. I have not bothered finding out if there is any truth in this as I am already a member. Does anybody know if the rumours are correct as I have a couple of friends who are ex members and considering rejoining?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Good points Dave. Wimborne AC is a fine club and I regularly fished some of their waters as well. Certainly quite a few of the local waters have changed hands, some several times, and at one time I was also a member of all three (as well as using "exchange books" for Blandford, Eastleigh and several others!)

Those club books represent tremendous individual value for their members but when renewal times comes around it tends to concentrate the mind. Like you, I know of many who have dropped one or two memberships.

As for RDAA, I've heard a couple of rumours (perhaps from non RDAA members!) of the closing of the membership. But I'd be very suprised if that was the case. Finances seem to be very healthy despite their commitments over the purchase and development of a lot of waters which are pretty extensive. They have plenty of "room" for all aspects of the membership despite a few rumblings from the "carp guys"!

I've dropped my membership of RDAA but only because I seem to have less and less time to do the 150 mile round trip. But I'll still fish Throop and occassionally The Royalty at selected times on the day tickets.