Coarse/Course Fishing??

dezza

Reaction score
I am the last person to criticise a posters spelling, as we all are guilty of mucking it up from time to time. However I have noticed a mis-spelling? that could lead to historic facts being misconstrued.

I am referring of course to the very common and incorrect usage of the word "course" for what we know as "coarse" fishing.

Where "coarse" with regards to angling came from, or who was the first to coin the term seems a bit of a mystery. At the time of the Mundella Act - 1878 - which created the coarse fish close season we know today, non-salmonids in the Britain were mainly referred to as "freshwater fish". This is probably in deference to the fact that these fishes never get the urge to migrate to sea as do salmon and the trouts.

But back to the main subject of this thread, and here it does seem that it's the game anglers who mainly get it wrong, the word is "coarse" fishing. Let's try and keep things as historically correct as possible.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I’ve always enjoyed the term”coarse angler” there’s a few rather fitting synonyms, uncouth angler, foul mouthed angler etc… So a possible connection to angler rather than fish…:D

/A very coarse angler!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Of course its coarse, its poor edumication thats the cause.

Its amazing how many people can't spell correctly, its like word blindness I suppose, I see a word in my mind and if I do happen to spell a word incorrectly it sticks out like a sore thumb, it niggles at me but rarely do I have to resort to a dictionary and I never use a spellchecker.

dezza

Reaction score
I’ve always enjoyed the term”coarse angler” there’s a few rather fitting synonyms, uncouth angler, foul mouthed angler etc… So a possible connection to angler rather than fish…:D

/A very coarse angler!

That is possible of course. There are for example quite a few Scousers who go fishing!

:D

---------- Post added at 02:34 ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 ----------

Dont forget those "barbells"

This river contains chubb and barble!!!

The bad one

Reaction score
Ron the use of the word coarse in fish terms, is considered to come from the fact that most coarse fish look and feel ruff, or is rough, to the touch and sight. But as with all things, there are exceptions, Tench for instance. Game fish don't have this appearance.