Iconic Rods

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Several times in the course of the year, i have read several topics discussing Reels, and how they are the best, worst, traditional, Centre Pins, Closed Face, Open Faced etc

That got me wondering, what about Rods, Do you have a favourite ? Do you still have it ? Do you still use it ?

What makes a Rod a favourite in your eyes, what must it have, does it have to be the most expensive, or a recognised brand name.

I myself haven't had a lot of rods, and i definitely haven't had expensive rods, but, i do like my Leeda Icon power Waggler and my MAP STI 12ft Feeder rod.

I like how they feel when holding them, either playing fish or just casting, i like the overall look, i like how the reel seat grips the reel, and i love their fish playing action, not to strong, with enough power in reserve to land biggish fish, without any fear, and the action you get when playing a fish.

Let me know what your thoughts are on your own Favourites and perhaps a quick run down of why.

Tight Lines.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
For many years now I’ve had a love affair with the Harrison Avon, 2 piece, 11ft, for me it was the ultimate fishing rod, until I discovered the 4 piece version.

Just feeling it packed up in its heavy weight cotton bag makes me happy, once on the water it becomes an almost seamless 11ft arm extension. It does all I ask of it without compromise, firm, yet not unforgiving, a total pleasure to own and fish with.

Its compact size makes it a dream to travel with, and gives me less excuses, its slightly stiffer action in relation to the 2 piece, but I find that beneficial, I never feel out of control, the action is less hysterical.

It’s either paired up with a centrepin or a Stradic, I’ve gone down to 3.3lb Drennan float fish, straight through, but usually 6lb on both reels, but I’ve gone up to 20lb braid for small lures, poppers and frog baits. It’s just as happy float fishing the margins for tench and crucians as it is whacking out 1oz method feeders.

I have Enterprise tackle bobbin taped on most of the time, or else a side winder, making it very versatile. I really love it, a very cherished bit of kit, unbeatable in my book…

/TRM

Last edited:

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Never owned one, but from my youth I can remember nothing standing out more as iconic than the 'Sealey Blue Match Deluxe' I can remember thinking that to arrive as an angler you surely had to own one.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Match rods..

Normarks.. Avenger, titan and microlite
Drennan im8 and im9's

Ledger rods...
Drennan im8 super feeder
drennan light feeder

Carp/pike/ specimine rods...

Daiwa whisker kevlar tournament
Shimano daiflash

Those are my favourite rods, there's plenty more but they're the one's I'd have if limited to a few lol.

The bad one

Reaction score
For me it has to be my Harrison GTI 13ft hollow tip float rod. 17 years old and still used whenever I want to float fish. The Harrison interceptors run it a good close second for medium range bream and tenching though!

mcdejer16

Reaction score
Normark Titan & Microlights for me too

I have bought a pair of Harrison Chimera 1.75lbs today and I think these might be future classics for me

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have a silstar 12 ft. light line canal rod from Ian Heaps range,must be 15 years old but still a pleasure to use. More up to date (3 years old) my Hardy marksman 14ft float rod is in my opinion a truly superb bit of kit, albeit a little overpriced,it was worth every penny.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have a silstar 12 ft. light line canal rod from Ian Heaps range,must be 15 years old but still a pleasure to use. More up to date (3 years old) my Hardy marksman 14ft float rod is in my opinion a truly superb bit of kit, albeit a little overpriced,it was worth every penny.

I have a 12ft Trotting rod from the same range. As it has a dolly butt, it was easy to put a decent reel fitting on and it remains one of my favorite rods. I have had some quite large fish on comparitivly light lines and it never feels like you're going to get snapped up. I keep looking to get another but I have yet to see one second hand.

bugboy

Reaction score
I have a 20year old Drennan waggler rod and an original John Wilson avon they are both still a joy to use.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Float Rods, Titan 2000 and Free Spirit.

Speciman Rods Harrison, Free Spirit and Drennen

Carp Rods Free Spirit and ESP

I still have a Mk 4 Walker carp rod that I use now and then, weighs a ton but great fun for surface fishing. I still also have the ABU Mk5 13ft Float Rod, again weighs a ton, but has a great action.

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
My two Daiwa Whiskar kevlar carp rods represent the best money I ever spent. I've had them for twenty years now and they're as good as the day I brought them. I used to make up my own rods from those North Western blanks you could buy, they were cracking rods too.

Iconic though? Would have to be the 6ft Winfield solid glass spinning rod, my first glass rod. A noddy's rod in its day, it now stands up against the vogue lure fishing rods of today. Funny how fashions change. :)

Reaction score
Rod Stewart:(
Rod Argent:confused:
Rod Marsh:D
Rod Steiger:cool:
Divining Rod (heavenly!):j
.Sorry wrong end of the rod there....

Drennan legermaster (beautifully versatile 11 ft 1.25 tc rod),

Drennan Crystalite

Drennan International 13ft carp Feeder

An old Bruce and Walker CTM 13a I used to have

And my battered old ABU Zeus 13ft float rod - another appearance soon on the Idle

Robert Woods

Reaction score
My step brothers 9ft tank ariel rod with those s/steel rings with thick white inserts. Used by me to catch Crussians from nearby pit now just another Runcorn housing estate.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
ABU MK 6
Shakespeare Mach 2 Boron
Normark Avenger
Normark No. 1/2 Quivertip
Carbotech No. 2

All streets ahead at the time they came out.

The John Wilson Avon sold well but there are/were far better rods though they probably cost far more!

I've yet to see a BAD Harrison rod